• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper mounted lights- high or low?

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finishing up my new front bumper and I'm thinking of building in some slots for lighting. I have 2x3x.25 horisontal with 1/8" plate under it going back at a 45* angle. I'm thinking of cutting the plate near the top and mounting either a 4-5" steel pipe or build a rectangular "slot" to house a light on each side of the front plate. I don't know if any of this makes any sense till I get a picture....

My question is two-fold,
1-mounting lights low on the bumper makes them pretty low overall, what is this like for driving? It seems like it will cast a lot of shadows on the road rather than light it up. Maybe I should stick with mounting the lights above the bumper to increase the angle of the light on the road?

2-if low-mounted lights aren't too bad, what's a decent light that is dimensionally small? My bumper is only about 6" tall, so I think 3-4" is the max height I can go on the lights.

Thanks, I'll try to get pics tonight.

most factory installed driving lights i have seen are below the bumper, so that should point to it being a good idea. Seems to me you will be able to get light closer to the front of the vehicle with them mounted low. However, if you want to get pencil beams or something to throw light far down the road/trail i would suggest mounting them higher.

This question depends on the use of your vehicle. I know if I had lights mounted on the bottom of my bumper they would not last long on the trail, however if it is for steet use only the bottom would be okay.

Back