• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ hatch not latching problem FIXED

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a genius I know :)

Just thought I'd post this to help anyone else with this problem fix it for about a penny.

IMAGE_237.jpg

So was yours not latching closed, or not wanting to open?

Mine's not wanting to open sometimes, and it's to the point where I have to push in on it to get it to open. I'm trying to fix it before it completely stops working, but i'm not 100% sure on what piece needs adjusting...

"Jeanyus"..... Just like Jethro Bodine!!!! :spin1: :roflmao:

well that worked reaaaaaaallllllll well.....went from not opening on occasion, to not opening at all!!!!

UNCC_99XJ said:
So was yours not latching closed, or not wanting to open?

Mine's not wanting to open sometimes, and it's to the point where I have to push in on it to get it to open. I'm trying to fix it before it completely stops working, but i'm not 100% sure on what piece needs adjusting...

Ive got the same problem. . .

camarors8992 said:
I'm a genius I know :)

Just thought I'd post this to help anyone else with this problem fix it for about a penny.

IMAGE_237.jpg

I don't understand how the zip tie is supposed to do anything. You are on the right track trying to keep the ribbed linkage rod from slipping. I used a metal hose clamp and cranked it down.

I hate these damn latches!! pathetic design......cheap plastic parts and crappy thin metal......!!!!!(n) When the hatch latch gets hot from sitin in the sun for a while mine will not even open because the damn plastic arm that pushes down on the locking mechanism gets soft an bends:tears: ........One day when I get a chance I am goin to fix the damn design flaws!!!!!!!:cool:

Well I did some searching, and saw that by taking the two nuts off that are underneath the cargo floor (between the bumper and gas tank) should allow the tailgate to open.....well that didn't work.

Just can't win with this stupid latch this weekend.....

UNCC_99XJ said:
Well I did some searching, and saw that by taking the two nuts off that are underneath the cargo floor (between the bumper and gas tank) should allow the tailgate to open.....well that didn't work.

Just can't win with this stupid latch this weekend.....

That should allow the hatch to open part way, enough for you go remove the screws holding the bottem of the plastic cover for the hatch and bend back the plastic and reach your hand through to manually work the latch. That or you can just cut an access hole in the plastic cover to reach the locking mech.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
That should allow the hatch to open part way, enough for you go remove the screws holding the bottem of the plastic cover for the hatch and bend back the plastic and reach your hand through to manually work the latch. That or you can just cut an access hole in the plastic cover to reach the locking mech.

-Alex

I'll have to see.....I thought it should have allowed the hatch to open all the way? Atleast that's what I gathered from reading up on it...

Back