• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper build, what do you guys think?

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
SO this is my first shot at a real steel build, and this is what ive come up with so far

measures.jpg

what do you guys think about this? in case it wasnt obvious, the red plates are the mounting plates for the unibody and that whole structure is the subassembly to brace for the hitch and everything, the bumper welds onto that, and the d-ring tabs are drawn twice, they are the blue pieces on the subassembly, and will fit through slots in the face of the bumper, and then be welded there as well.

and bear with me here if it seems ive done something horribly wrong or forgot something simple lol

thanks guys

P.S. - the reason this is on the modified tech board is because i wasnt sure if itd qualify for the 'advanced fabrication and engineering section' :p

Last edited:
Looks good to me!

It looks pretty similar to the one I'll be finishing on Saturday. I'll post a picture tomorrow, it's 90% finished and I still haven't snapped a single photo, need to get clicking-

Xj'sR'Creamy said:
Nice, no winch?
i decided a winch bumper was going to be too deep and too much of a headache to fit everything i wanted with it. in the end, i can always run a multimount winch off of the hitch if need be, otherwise all my friends already have winches :D

here's the most recent one with more measurements

measures4.jpg

Last edited:
It is way over kill on the material used. You dont need to have a frame for the hitch inside a bumper that is 3/16". Also I am worried about the junction between the 3/4" recovery points and the brackets to body. I would be make the brackets out of 1/4" or 5/16" which extend in one piece all the way through the bumper face. Then you can thicken it up by welding in some plate each side of that.
To make it the way you have now would weigh a ton and effect your ride height, tyre wear and handling.
See my site on how I have added a hitch to the back of the bumpers I have made.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

My Bumper is very similiar. But I don't have the subframe type setup you have. Mine is 3/16" with no reciever tube but my mounts are 3/4" plate which make the D-ring mounts and run all the way back to the large bolthole on the frame. It ties into the steering box and the stock bumper mounts as well. Its not super heavy and I have bounced it off the rocks a few times with no issues. I feel that if it ever came off it would have XJ parts hanging from it :).

thanks a lot for the input guys

i think youre right on how its overbuilt and im gonna lessen it up a bit after reading some responses. maybe use less 1/4" and down it all to 3/16? and i may be able to do away with the 2x4 tube across, just replace it with some sort of angle iron?

thanks again everyone

Looks similar to what I built to fit the Warn 8274 winch.
album_pic.php

You can see almost everything that makes up this bumper. No substructure except for the mounting plates that run along the unibody and extend through the bumper front for tow points. All 1/4" plate steel, which I would not change.
More picts here if you're interested: http://community.webshots.com/album/424655485LltNfS.

Last edited:
BothMeasuresSmall.jpg

obviously its either/or, (hitch or winch) not both at once ;)
how about a piece of 1/4" angle spreading the distance between the mounts, and will also act as the tray to mount the winch too?

here is mine, I didn't want to mess with having the winch hang way out.
100_3151.sized.jpg

my only concerns about your design have to do with the reciever hitch. if you are indeed planning on sticking it back that far, you would be getting pretty close to the fan and your pulley assembly in general.

oh whoops, theres a flaw in my diagram i hadnt thought of, the frame mount plates are supposed to be extended further back (i.e. be longer than what i have pictured)

good call

tsgolo said:
Looks similar to what I built to fit the Warn 8274 winch.

You can see almost everything that makes up this bumper. No substructure except for the mounting plates that run along the unibody and extend through the bumper front for tow points. All 1/4" plate steel, which I would not change.
More picts here if you're interested: http://community.webshots.com/album/424655485LltNfS.

Cool. Thanks. I need to fab one up for my 8274. I will be cutting the grill (and anything else I can) to recess it more though. Yours seems to stick out pretty far.

Back