• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 and a SYE and CV drive shaft?

AZRockRunner

Nobody
Ok, after a very LONG HOT summer here in AZ, I am finally ready to get the rusty's 4.5" lift installed and the Ford 8.8. I was asked a tough question that I dont know the right answer to, so I am looking to this group again for experiences and opinions.
Question: Are you going to do a SYE and a CV drive shaft, or use a stock shaft and keep it as is?

Since the leaf perches are getting welded Saturday, I am looking at what is the best choice to do since I DO NOT want to grind them off in 3 months and do it all over again.

So, if you have any experiences or opinions on this subject, please respond.

Jeep specs are as follows:
90 Cherokee 4 door auto
D30 front with Locker and 4:10 gears and cable posi-lok
Rear is Ford 8.8 with 4:10 gears and posi and disk brakes. ( locker next year )
Rusty's 4.5 lift. which I understand is actually a 5" or 5 1/4"
I also have upgraded the steering to the HD steering and also have the adjustable upper control arms.
Running 32 x 11.50 R15 tires on Black rock crawler rims. But I will upgrade to 33's when these are dead.

I look forward to this groups wisdom....................

I ran mine both ways with no trouble. At 6" with the stock setup I had 1.5" of t-case drop and set the pinion to point straight at the t-case. Hardly any vibes at all on the highway even with a banged up DS. Just recently I added an HS SYE and used a front DS in the rear and WOW its nice. I was able to lose the t-case drop which made the pinion angle perfect so I didn't have to redo the perches. Its amazing how much nicer it drives with the SYE in there. I just thought I didn't have vibes before. No I have ZERO vibes and more ground clearance.

My suggeston is to put the 8.8 under the Jeep after the lift is on. Just set the perches on the tube and you can rotate the axle to get your pinion angle you need, then weld the sucker. I, on the other hand, needed my XJ for a DD so I sucked it up and basically guessed. Mine turned out fine, lots of measuring and such on similar setups helped me alot.
I was unsure of the length of DS that I needed. I have the 242 so my only "over the counter" option was the Hack and Tap. I didn't want to buy 2 DS so I opted to go the safe route. I installed the hack and tap and then called Dirk back at DPG Offroadand gave him my flange to flange measurement. A couple of days later, I had a DS and was back in business.

Now, some get away with running the stock shaft and shims, maybe a TC drop. You really won't know if you have driveline vibes until you try it. You may get away with the stock shaft....i dunno. My suggestion is to cut the chase and get the SYE. BTW, Dirk was great to work with and he will treat you right.

Back