• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare parts for road trip/backcountry travel

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
What spare parts would you suggest for a big road trip with a lot of really isoloated backcountry travel? I have a 94 auto with open diffs and 30" tires, a completely revamped cooling system and brand spanking new starter. I'm thinking of bringing a CPS, instructions to bypass the NSS, a spare alternator, cap and rotor, some hoses, jump start battery, bailing wire and duct tape:looney:. I'm considering picking up a spare ECU and coil. Thanks

Don't you forget the tools or you are still pretty much screwed. Don't forget them ever. Mine are with me on a trip to the convenience store.

I like to carry bypass belts that run between the crank pulley and alternator in case one of the other pumps lockup. Dunno what the right length is for the XJ. If nothing else use a boot lace or a belt, or a nylon stocking in absolute worst case.

U-joints, the proper tools to do it, and comprehensive instructions treated with a good map waterproofing.
A CB or a Cell phone booster.
Fix a flat, a plug kit, and a hilift jack to break down a bad tire - and a radial tube! A good manual pump to air up - less to break, more reliable.
A good water purification kit - for you all.
Appropriate worst case clothing.
Those puzzle mats they sell for exercise, the ones with interlocking edges. Great sleeping mats and great undercar during repairs.

TiRod said:
U-joints, the proper tools to do it, and comprehensive instructions treated with a good map waterproofing.
A CB or a Cell phone booster.
Fix a flat, a plug kit, and a hilift jack to break down a bad tire - and a radial tube! A good manual pump to air up - less to break, more reliable.
A good water purification kit - for you all.
Appropriate worst case clothing.
Those puzzle mats they sell for exercise, the ones with interlocking edges. Great sleeping mats and great undercar during repairs.

Some really good sugesstions here. I don't carry many of the things suggested but am going to change my inventory to include several of these items. Interlocking matt is an excellent idea which had never crossed my mind. I have a car fender cover that I have used but the mats are a much better choice as they can do double duty as sleeping and working mats.
Water purification kit is another great example of things to add.
Thanks TiRod.

90Blue_XJ said:
Don't you forget the tools or you are still pretty much screwed. Don't forget them ever. Mine are with me on a trip to the convenience store.

Not having your tools when something breaks would certainly not be a convenience at the store, LOL!

I am starting to think the thing to do is just tow a spare jeep, LOL!

Yes, broken shafts too, on 30's.

What good would a bypass pully to the alternator be if it wasn't driving the water pump?

GPS telephone if you are driving backcountry without any others. OR at least tell somebody where you'll be and if you don't get back by a certain day, call for help.

flashlight, hammer, good tool kit with a 36mm socket and flexbar, 13mm 12 sided for the front hub bolts, rags to shove into the axle if you end up having to run with just the outer stub, bandaids+first aid kit for when you slice your hand open on the broken tool grade u-joint, 2 part "liquid metal" good for sealing holes in rads oil pans,etc, two part "quicksteel putty stick" for pluggin the hole in your fuel tank,4 liters atf,4 liters 10w30,cheap plastic transfer pump (great for filling up t/case after losing driveshaft) collapseable water container,tire plug kit, zap straps,duct tape,collapsible hand saw,rope/twine,wetnaps+fast orange wipes, I carry spare w/pump,fuel pump,throttle body,coil+ign module,cps,plug wire,coolant bottle, upper and lower rad hoses, four feet heater hose,small lenth 1/2" copper pipe, cum-along, 20-ft chain,shackles/clevises, 100ft 20,000lb strap, 3 snatchblocks,shovel,emergency blankets, 2 ratchet straps,fire extinguisher,hatchet,chisel or two,and on long trips starter and alternator. I'm sure I'm missing alot from this list but I like to be prepared, my rear leafs don't like it as much.

I've seen water purification device and collapseable water container.....but does no one carry water?????????? I always carry at least one gallon of water. Also, I didn't see first aid kit mentioned.

bcmaxx said:
bandaids+first aid kit for when you slice your hand open on
I carry drinking water in a cooler, and a 4 liter coolant jug with water. I forgot to mention a air pump and of course shnit tickets.

Beyond the normal stuff, I carry an extra starter and and an extra battery. I always have a couple of batteries hooked up to the charger and a plastic battery carry box, I swap them out from the back of the XJ periodically. Maintenance free batteries are best.
Starters are hard to clean out in the rain or a couple of feet of mud. If you have an auto, push starting is unlikely.
Without the headlights you can drive a long way on just battery power if you have to.

What they said PLUS duct tape and bailing wire!!!! :cheers:

I never leave home without: Utility Knife w/extra blades, Lighter/Matches. Ever notice how much easier things would be on Survivorman/Man vs. Wild etc. with just these two items?

THINGS USUALLY (ALWAYS) IN JEEP
FUBAR (http://www.stanleyfubar.com/)
Duct Tape
Zip-Ties
Bailing Wire
First-Aid Kit
FIRE EXTINGUISHER
The Usual Suspects for tools (socket set, screwdrivers, etc.)
Ryobi 18v Drill/Batts/Charger (you might be surprised how often it gets used, plus it's cheap)

Back