• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior Vs Yukon gears

garr

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered a set of superior front & rear 4.11s for my 01 XJ, I was accidently shipped Yukon gears in error, I have heard from many that the superior gears are of higher quality, How much of a quality difference is there between the 2 brands?
I want as close to oem quality as I can get, I hate gear whine!!

Yukons would be near the bottom of my list as far as gear brands are concerned. Precision, Alloy USA, or Superior is what I would recommend.

this is an endless debate. everyone thinks something else. i read an analogy like this earlier, in the "which locker should i get thread" : it's not like thornbirds vs. creepy crawlers. they're all viable parts.

asp387 said:
this is an endless debate. everyone thinks something else. i read an analogy like this earlier, in the "which locker should i get thread" : it's not like thornbirds vs. creepy crawlers. they're all viable parts.

I am looking for the opinion of a the few Pros out there who set up gears for a living.
After setting up a few hundred axles you have got to know what is good & what is not!
Come on guys, What do you SAY?

Then ask rawbrown

From what i've heard, stay away from genuine

I have installed a few hundred in the last 2-3 years alone.

Yukon has TWO lines! Premium and Value. Premium are good, value are same foundry as the likes of genuine and other asian imported sets. Premium's come from the foundry's located more so in Itialy, mexico, MAYBE USA but thats old stock if so, etc, and those are the SAME foundry's that supply gears to Precision, Yukon, superior, Alloy, etc....

THe big picture is on gears.. Are the gears in the box concidered a Entry level el cheapo variety or the premium Quality and steel? Almost Every name on the box "resellers" of gears off the two lines. Some companies have one division (Alloy say) that boxes only the good stuff, where thier other sister company is hit and miss (precision).

Now your Question...
see if there is a country of orgin marked on the box or gear set. if you can comtact the company that sold them to you,and IF they are Honest, see if they will tell you which version o the yukon's you were sent. If they were more then 120$ total per set then you got ripped off either way. A permium Yukon set for most any axle can be had with shipping for under 149 and most for te Jeep axles for 129.

ROBERTK said:
I have installed a few hundred in the last 2-3 years alone.

Yukon has TWO lines! Premium and Value. Premium are good, value are same foundry as the likes of genuine and other asian imported sets. Premium's come from the foundry's located more so in Itialy, mexico, MAYBE USA but thats old stock if so, etc, and those are the SAME foundry's that supply gears to Precision, Yukon, superior, Alloy, etc....

THe big picture is on gears.. Are the gears in the box concidered a Entry level el cheapo variety or the premium Quality and steel? Almost Every name on the box "resellers" of gears off the two lines. Some companies have one division (Alloy say) that boxes only the good stuff, where thier other sister company is hit and miss (precision).

Now your Question...
see if there is a country of orgin marked on the box or gear set. if you can comtact the company that sold them to you,and IF they are Honest, see if they will tell you which version o the yukon's you were sent. If they were more then 120$ total per set then you got ripped off either way. A permium Yukon set for most any axle can be had with shipping for under 149 and most for te Jeep axles for 129.

Made in KO on the side of the box,
Unless I missed something, Yukon makes no mention of different 2 lines of gears on their website!
Is there any other way to tell if they are the high or low end gears? There has to be some kind of markings to tell the difference !

Last edited:
garr said:
Made in KO on the side of the box,
Unless I missed something, Yukon makes no mention of different 2 lines of gears on their website!
Is there any other way to tell if they are the high or low end gears? There has to be some kind of markings to tell the difference !

who did you get/order the gears from? have you called them?

why not have them send you the gears your ordered and payed for.

"I was accidently shipped", did they say they accidently shipped you the wrong gears, or is this what your saying?

I'm fairly sure he want's to know which set is better? The set he was shipped or the set he paid for. Of course the seller is going to hyp up the ones he paid for.

If they screwed up and sent the wrong thing and he got the better set of gears then why send em back?

Or are you one of those 'honest' people?

89xj said:
who did you get/order the gears from? have you called them?

why not have them send you the gears your ordered and payed for.

"I was accidently shipped", did they say they accidently shipped you the wrong gears, or is this what your saying?

I just dropped them off at the UPS office, So they are on the way back to the seller.
2001 XJ For both Axles (D30 & 8.25) 4.10 ratio, Including the Master install kits $554.95 shipped for the superiors.
The seller admits he sent the wrong gears & offered me a $75 refund to keep the Yukons. so it would be $479.95 (a good price as verified by most here). He has been excellent in his communications with me & I have no issues with him, I will not mention his name on an open forem because I do not want to give anyone reason to not order from him because he has been more than stand up about his error.
Also I just too a look at them while I was packing them up, He shipped me 4.56s, I ordered 4.11s !
Thanks
Frank

Last edited:
KO is Korea and Junk..

That is a bit high for quality "premium" sets and install kits, but way over priced for Korean made.

ROBERTK said:
KO is Korea and Junk..

That is a bit high for quality "premium" sets and install kits, but way over priced for Korean made.

I have a hard time believing that yukon has two different levels on the quality of their gears and yet they are all advertised as the same one gear set. So when someone goes to order new gears how are they to know what level they are going to get. Doesnt seem like they could get away with doing that. I bought new yukons about a 2 months ago and have been running them since. The boxes had made in KO on the side. Am i suppose to believe i got the lesser quality set then other people who bought the same yukon gears. If i in fact did get lesser quality gears I would have something to say about it and wouldnt be to happy getting dooped.

I have run several Spicer gearsets, and two Yukon gearsets. They all ran good, no noise, no breakage, no problems.

gradysjeep said:
I have a hard time believing that yukon has two different levels on the quality of their gears and yet they are all advertised as the same one gear set. So when someone goes to order new gears how are they to know what level they are going to get. Doesnt seem like they could get away with doing that. I bought new yukons about a 2 months ago and have been running them since. The boxes had made in KO on the side. Am i suppose to believe i got the lesser quality set then other people who bought the same yukon gears. If i in fact did get lesser quality gears I would have something to say about it and wouldnt be to happy getting dooped.

all I can say is dont ever say no one never told you so. And it really doesnt matter to me if you believe me or not, its what it is...

ROBERTK said:
KO is Korea and Junk..

Ok, What should a set of Front & rear Premium gears cost (8.25 & D30 4.11s With master install kits included)?
How can you tell the cheap Yukons from the premium? are there Any markings on the boxes or gears other than the country of origin?

Back