• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weather stripping

AaronJXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i was sitting in the car wash earleir today, my younger brother told me he'd pay for a wash if i took him on alittle mud excursion, so i obviously took advantage of not having to roll out the house after a little ride, but while we were in the wash i felt a drop of water hit my arm, i looked up and saw some water forming around the top weather stripping, i pushed onm it gently and watched the light pour in, not happy, im pretty sure the door is not bent, so i was wondering whats on the market to replace the weatherstripping, something really plush to make a nice tight seal(its mudd and water cross season again), i searched, but didnt come across anything specific to what i want, suggestions?
thanks in advance for any assistance

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I was thinking Sci-Fi story was coming. ;)

I got a whole weatherstripping kit off of ebay. Think it was about 150 for it. Wasn't hard to put on and she stays cool inside now. I am in Arizona and the heat is killer on the rubber here.

bend the door. put your knee just below your window inline where it was leaking in, grab the top of your door and pull. it will take some force, but don't get carried away, you'd be suprized how far a little pulling will get you.

i read about bending the door, but will that really keep a good seal all the way around? i have an addiction to mud and pushing my vehical to an extreame, i am soon to put on my re3.5 super ride with moab rims on goodyear mt/r's (most likley 31's), point of the story is ive been stuck a few times, and i wanna make sure if(and when) i get stuck again and its alittle deep, i dont wanna swim in my interior

Bending the door is an accecpted practice. I was working at a General Motors assembly plant one day and there was a guy towards the end of the line doing "final fit" with a big rubber mallet. Make sure to roll the window DOWN before going too crazy. Check out Teamcherokee for new weatherstripping, they have both OEM and reproduction kits at reasonable prices.
You might also check your door hinges. If the welds are pulling apart it might cause the door not to fit right. If they are pulling away you should get them fixed the sooner the better before they get bad enough to make repair really difficult.

Last edited:
You don't say what year. If it's 96- then you can get 97+ weatherstripping at the junkyard for extra protection. I used some from a ZJ--it was too long at the bottom but otherwise fits perfectly and seals up good and I just cut the excess with some tin shears. Team Cherokee and JC Whitney are other options.

ehall said:
You don't say what year. If it's 96- then you can get 97+ weatherstripping at the junkyard for extra protection. I used some from a ZJ--it was too long at the bottom but otherwise fits perfectly and seals up good and I just cut the excess with some tin shears. Team Cherokee and JC Whitney are other options.

x2 the -97 up, its about 50% bigger. It should fit fine, and really stops wind whistling on older XJ's.

Back