• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0l xj to zj engine swap.

christopherrayd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Im in need of some big help. I have a 1991 cherokee xj that has been great but has 250000 on the engine. I also have a 1997 4.0 grand cherokee zj that unfortunatly got rear ended, so im taking it to the dump. But first I wanted to take what ever i could off of it. I got the rear disc brakes and doing that conversion, now im pulling the engine out of it to see if I could put it in my xj. Has any one done this or know of any write ups about it? Im mainly worried about the electricle stuff and brake master/abs. any help would be great please. thanks alot.

I'm strokeing and swaping a 98 grand cherokee into my 96. The guys at the local jeep dealership said it would work. I will just have to check on my sensor locations and plug ends. Otherwize the engines are the same. The problem is with the wrangler blocks, they have different engine mounts.

~Alex

Yea being as this is just a weekend toy now I thought about making it a stroker aswell. it would be fun, but dont have the cash to do so. do you thing i sould take the ecu and harness and all that bs from the 97 and put it into the 91 or just swap the engine?

I believe the ECU is the same for both vehicles. One of the parts managers told me that he swaped a grand cherokee engine into a 90 XJ with no problems, just the sensor locations and extending wires.
Since its a weekend toy could you just pull the engine from the 91, rebuild and replace it so you can be sure there are zero problems.

~Alex

Back