• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AutoPal H4 upgrade, which bulbs to run?

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
Already upgraded wiring harness, just need to decide which bulbs to run. I can order the Autopals with a 55/60w, 55/100w or 90/100w low/high beam bulb. Im guessing just go with the highest wattage? Or would that be asking for heat issues (or does upgraded wiring take care of that)?

Has anyone whose done the conversion experimented with wattage or recommend one of these bulbs?

I did the conversion i went with PIAA Extreme White Plus and loved them till i had a friend tell me about The HID conversion, I wasnt a true believer until we put them in and damm those blow the h4's away hands down. Seriously if your gonna spend the money on bulbs spend the little extra for the conversion believe me you wont ever go back to h4 bulbs. If your intersted in the kit give tcm glx a pm, he will give you the details and cost.

I tried both the silvrstars and the PIAAS to me the PIAAS were brighter - Wattage60/55w = 110/100ww, 4000K

Last edited:
Those of us who want to remain street legal :D still like our H4s.

I'm running a set of the nice +80 bulbs that are popular in Europe. They were expensive, and I had to order them England (for 25 pounds / pair), but since then Osram has released a nice set of bulbs called the "Night Breaker," they can be found pretty reasonably on eBay. They are super bright, much brighter than stock, and they are still the stock wattage, so you can use your stock wiring without problems. Stock wattage can also be a benefit depending on your state's vehicle code if you get pulled over for headlights that are too bright.

They work by using a different gas that standard halogens. It makes the filament burn much hotter and brighter, at the expense of a bit shorter life.

Get HIDs if you want, but I personally HATE being blinded by some ******* with an illegal cheapie HID kit "retrofitted" into halogen housings.

I am running the 55/100 but I also built a new headlight harness to handle the load. Works great and 90% of the time I am on low beams. I am only using the highs when no one is coming at me so should take care of being "legal". :D

Daedalus454 said:

I'm running a set of the nice +80 bulbs that are popular in Europe. They were expensive, and I had to order them England (for 25 pounds / pair), but since then Osram has released a nice set of bulbs called the "Night Breaker," they can be found pretty reasonably on eBay. They are super bright, much brighter than stock, and they are still the stock wattage, so you can use your stock wiring without problems. Stock wattage can also be a benefit depending on your state's vehicle code if you get pulled over for headlights that are too bright.

They work by using a different gas that standard halogens. It makes the filament burn much hotter and brighter, at the expense of a bit shorter life.

Get HIDs if you want, but I personally HATE being blinded by some ******* with an illegal cheapie HID kit "retrofitted" into halogen housings.

Ha Ha, if they are properly adjusted you wont have that problem :shhh:

im running the 90/110 combo that comes with the autopals.

it gets the job done, gets it done very well and im very satisfied.

i run a 10gauge harness with two 40/50 amp relays, one for lows and the other for the highs.

I've had a few problems with the autopal bulbs, I have the total conversion including gojeeps harness, but I have gone through 2 bulbs in a year. I have a set of extras but they're not cheap for me with shipping so I'm sourcing a local source for Hellas. Just my .02 cents.

cds36 said:
I did the conversion i went with PIAA Extreme White Plus and loved them till i had a friend tell me about The HID conversion, I wasnt a true believer until we put them in and damm those blow the h4's away hands down. Seriously if your gonna spend the money on bulbs spend the little extra for the conversion believe me you wont ever go back to h4 bulbs. If your intersted in the kit give tcm glx a pm, he will give you the details and cost.

I tried both the silvrstars and the PIAAS to me the PIAAS were brighter - Wattage60/55w = 110/100ww, 4000K
OR if you want a hi/lo H4 HID kit PM me :D

I tried all differant types of bulbs from the cheaper h4 with the blue tint to the hella's and the waste of money piaa's that say they are a higher wattage then they are. I gave susquahana motorsports a call and the where super helpful I went with the Osram hyper white 80/85 watts about $20. a bulb nice light output very high lumens and no bullshit blue tint. Best bulb I ever bought.

Daedalus454 said:

You are only blinded if the HIDs are not adjusted right....as far as being legal, the H4 Conversions are not legal unless you keep stock wattage bulbs....

Oh, and the autopals are great housings......i have had them for 3 years.

crazyjim said:
How well do they adjust using the whole housing though?

Well you adjust them just like you would your regular housings.....:scottm:

tcm glx said:
You are only blinded if the HIDs are not adjusted right....as far as being legal, the H4 Conversions are not legal unless you keep stock wattage bulbs....

Hence the reason that I run stock wattage bulbs. :D

I'll be the first to agree that a well-adjusted set of "warmer" colored HIDs are great, I've just been on the receiving end of too many poorly done, poorly adjusted ultra-cool purplish HIDs that I guess I'm a bid jaded now. My +80 55/65s work great for me, so that's what I'll stick with for now. If I wanted HIDs I'd probably add some offroad lights to the bumper and convert those.

Back