• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AGR super box whats the dilly

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
So my steering box is shot.. i Have had it its the 2nd time i replaced it. the seal goes and nothing will stop it. Im going to 35 krawlers probably as my next set as well as will be living/ wheelin in CO so rocks there will be. I S that Box worth the $, is anyone runnin it? I will be keeping the jeep for DD duties.( so hydro and hyrdo assit i think are out for now).. . i just dont trust the stock box worth nothing anymore. thanks

keith

I would stay away from it. Do a 99 Durango box. Easy, cheap, bolts right in, takes care of business. And for daily driving and wheeling in CO, I would look at other tire options. Toyo MT, MTR, and Irocs are the local favorites.

Do some searching on AGR.. I wouldn't even consider an AGR product with the problems they have had over the last 2-3 years. Complaints are all over the web!

My understanding is the the original owner of AGR sold the company. The quality quickly tanked and he was so upset with the new owner of AGR he opened a new competing business (PSC).

I went through 3 AGR gearboxes and 2 pumps within 2 years. Every gearbox was defined as defective the moment they were installed. Each box had a different issue. I spent hours on the phone with AGR describing the issues and 'every' time AGR agreed the unit was bad. Each was sent back (at my expense) replaced by yet another 'defective' unit. After 3 gearboxes and 2 pumps, I simply gave up and went back to new OE units. Haven't had a problem since.

I have heard nothing but 'excellent' reviews of all PSC products.

Hope this helps,
Kent :)

xj4fun said:
Do some searching on AGR.. I wouldn't even consider an AGR product with the problems they have had over the last 2-3 years. Complaints are all over the web!

My understanding is the the original owner of AGR sold the company. The quality quickly tanked and he was so upset with the new owner of AGR he opened a new competing business (PSC).

I went through 3 AGR gearboxes and 2 pumps within 2 years. Every gearbox was defined as defective the moment they were installed. Each box had a different issue. I spent hours on the phone with AGR describing the issues and 'every' time AGR agreed the unit was bad. Each was sent back (at my expense) replaced by yet another 'defective' unit. After 3 gearboxes and 2 pumps, I simply gave up and went back to new OE units. Haven't had a problem since.

I have heard nothing but 'excellent' reviews of all PSC products.

Hope this helps,
Kent :)

How recent were your problems with AGR? We had the same problems a few years back with their 'plating' that was on everything. Last year we decided to give them another shot and called them up. Apparently there was another change in ownership/management and the products we got from them were a LOT better quality. Haven't had a problem with any of their products since.

One of the first things we got from them was a variable ratio ram steering that allowed the vehicle to be easily managed at highway speeds. ;) Very cool stuff!

i have the AGR superbox 2 and matching pump that i've been running for about 3 years. i burned up the first pump within a year and found out it was because i was running stock powersteering fluid. back then the manual i got didn't say anything about fluid requirement. so i bought another pump, and AGR told me to use syntetic power steering fluid, so i went with redline. no problems since.

then last december a girl hit my jeep and took out the front end including the steering box. my insurance bought another AGR box, and i've been running it ever since without problems.

so i'm very happy with their product. the only 2 failures i've had were my fault and a moronic drivers fault.

I'd stay away from AGR.
The previous owner of AGR sold the company a few years ago and now runs PSC.

My old AGR box and pump lasted a long time. My new AGR box died 2 weeks ago with about 400 street miles when I was half way thru the rubicon and 10 hours from home. Mike Shaeffer at Shaeffer Offroad in Carson City said every AGR box they've installed has died in under 500 miles and AGR did not offer to fix/replace them when the owner complained.
Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed at AGR right now.

Back