• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have a Scout D44...???

MIXEDBREED

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked through the threads and couldn't find what I was looking for, so sorry if it's a repeat. I aquired a D44 out of a '87 Scout...I don't know much about axle swaps. I have a 91 XJ 3" RC lift, Pro-Comp 32"s and that's about it right now. Sould I even bother with the swap (will it fit? how much would I have to chop it up?) or should I just sell it to someone who knows what the hell they're doing? Any and all help would be great. Thanks in advance!

It's passenger drop. If you don't know what you're doing, I'm assuming you don't have the skills to swap to a pass. drop t-case, and deal with the exhaust and transmission pan, and do all the fab work required to make this axle fit.

Sell it to someone who knows what they're doing.

ddeadserious said:
It's passenger drop. If you don't know what you're doing, I'm assuming you don't have the skills to swap to a pass. drop t-case, and deal with the exhaust and transmission pan, and do all the fab work required to make this axle fit.

Sell it to someone who knows what they're doing.
I bet he is talking about a rear dana 44 not a front. I am not sure but I think the scout 44 is about the same width, probably narrower. I am sure the bolt pattern is different as well as the spring perches and shock mounts.

if it is a rear Scout D44, then i believe the lug pattern is 5X5. from what ive heard, the scout D44 is narrower than a Cherokee, so you can kill two birds with one stone and run wheel adapters to even out the length and get the correct lug pattern. I would check into the gears if Iwere you too. As for shock mounts and spring perches, they will have to be changed because Scouts are spring under axle. in my opinion, definantly a great upgrade. That, and theres a ton of aftermarket support for D44s. Good Luck! :)

I got a 78 scout d44 also was going in my 88 xj but it going in my 94 zj. But they are narrower by 2". I bought wheel adaptors for mine to change the bolt pattern and make it the right width.

Mine setup with some 1966 ford f100 brakes since my axle didn't come with any. To buy the scout brakes would of cost a ton. The drums per side where $109 was the cheapest and the ford drums together were $56. The difference so far I seen is the ford drums have a smaller hole in the middle and about .25 narrower shoes.

My axle got a 4.10 and spool in it also.

Back