• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box rebuild

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
Went to take off my box tonight and two out of three bolts snaped off in the box! Should I replace these with jeep bolts or should I use grade 8 equivelents? Also if anyone has any rebuild kit part#s to napa that would also be of help. Since I have to remove the box to get the bolts out I may rebuild as well.

smilesyota said:
Went to take off my box tonight and two out of three bolts snaped off in the box! Should I replace these with jeep bolts or should I use grade 8 equivelents? Also if anyone has any rebuild kit part#s to napa that would also be of help. Since I have to remove the box to get the bolts out I may rebuild as well.

I would suggest the Jeep bolts. I don't know whether there is anything special about them, but this is one of those things you don't want to guess at.

They are 7/16 - 14 x 4 inch bolts. Grade 8 bolts would work just as well. When I replaced mine with 4 1/2 inch long bolts (for the heavy duty bumper bracket), I had no choice but to use Grade 8.

Back