• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 in the front??

twoksl2

NAXJA Forum User
was there ever, or has anyone ever seen a dana 35 for the front axle of a XJ??
i found someone that says he has one for cheap, and insists that its a 35 in the front.... but i've never heard of this, or read anything here for that matter.
just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this

*disclaimer* i have not actually seen this axle, so i cannot verify for certain that it is a 35. right now i'm just going off what i'm being told.

twoksl2 said:
No, not in an XJ.

twoksl2 said:
i found someone that says he has one for cheap, and insists that its a 35 in the front.... but i've never heard of this, or read anything here for that matter.
Why would you ever even consider buying it anyway?
Second, the seller needs a lesson in what he's selling.

I believe that Ford Rangers had a Dana 35 in the front, but I think it was a twin traction beam design, rather then solid axle.

that pretty much answers my question about that... only reason i was even considering it was to get rid of the vacuum disconnect cheaply. thats it. i know they're not all that strong.

cwstnsko said:
I believe that Ford Rangers had a Dana 35 in the front, but I think it was a twin traction beam design, rather then solid axle.

Yes sir.

Better check it out for your self. Unless there is some redneck engineering going on and they fliped it up side down and twisted it backwards and welded some 44 knuckles to it, and added a Ford front drive shaft with chevy lockout hubs, then you may want to buy it, solid axle right there. :laugh:

twoksl2 said:
that pretty much answers my question about that... only reason i was even considering it was to get rid of the vacuum disconnect cheaply. thats it. i know they're not all that strong.

You want to rid axle disconnects the just put a 1 piece axle in it then just put a cover on the hole for the dissconnect.

twoksl2 said:

You should be able to pick up a HP D30 for cheap if thats what you're after.

twoksl2 said:

*disclaimer* i have not actually seen this axle, so i cannot verify for certain that it is a 35. right now i'm just going off what i'm being told.

sounds like :bs:to me.

MiNi Beast said:
You want to rid axle disconnects the just put a 1 piece axle in it then just put a cover on the hole for the dissconnect.

dont forget the seal.

Starboard M said:
My parents have a '96 Aerostar and it has a drum brake 8.8. Not sure about any other years though.

I'm fairly sure it was the early Aerostar. It's just something that keeps ringing a little bell in the back of my mind - struck me as odd, you know?

Most of the Rangers and Bronco II units that came with IFS used a TTB Dana 28. There are exceptions, but that's what was common. The TTB Dana 50 was used as a front in full-size 4WD pickups with IFS (and the D50 was only available in an IFS/TTB setup... I think it was only Ford that used the thing, just like the Dana 61 was pretty much strictly Ford as well.)

xtimmax said:
dont forget the seal.

I know they say you should add a seal to the inside of the diff housing on the passenger side.

However I believe it would work the other way as well. With the 2 piece shaft setup, there is a seal in the vacuum housing to keep the gear oil in the differential and in the small section of axle housing between the differential and the vacuum housing.

So I'd think you could still run a full length passenger side shaft retaining the origional seal in the vacuum housing (actually there are 2 seals in the housing, right? On either side? Since the vacuum housing holds oil itself.....I may be wrong) and not lose any gear oil.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, ford used the D35 in the Sploders and some rangers, they are easily swapped into rangers and BII's that have the D28 and all are TTB. The f150's used TTB D44 and the f250 used TTB D50 and solid D50, F350 and up used solid D50 and solid D60. the rears of all rangers/BII's and Sploders were either a 7.5 for the early years and a 8.8 after about 92? the f150's had a 8.8 and the 250's and up were either a sterling 10.25 or a D60. I dont beleive any parts between Jeep's 35 and fords 35 ttb are interchangeable, allways here rumors that you can use the carrier or something but I dont trust it as the TTB D35 was such a bastard child.

Yeah no... you are wrong Blaine B. Sorry dude. There is a seal inside the vac. disco. section, and it can be left in place, but it will not actually 'seal' against the new shaft. Disco shafts are thicker in that area than non disco shafts. There ia a seal avaliable that will cure the problem though. i'll see if I can find the part number.

And yes D35 front chunks came as standard equiptment on TTB 4x4 explorers. And yes drop in style lunchbox lockers that work in our Jeep d35s work in explorer d35's

On a side note, and i know this is totally off topic, I have heard rumors of people taking a D44 TTB housing section off of fulsize Fords, trimming it and using it as a heavy duty diff cover for theit D44s. The TTB housings are structural components of the front suspension and are VERY thick. I dont know why this wouldnt work for D35s as well. (you end up with a Dana engineered HD diff cover- very cool)

in2fords said:
Yeah, ford used the D35 in the Sploders and some rangers, they are easily swapped into rangers and BII's that have the D28 and all are TTB. The f150's used TTB D44 and the f250 used TTB D50 and solid D50, F350 and up used solid D50 and solid D60. the rears of all rangers/BII's and Sploders were either a 7.5 for the early years and a 8.8 after about 92? the f150's had a 8.8 and the 250's and up were either a sterling 10.25 or a D60. I dont beleive any parts between Jeep's 35 and fords 35 ttb are interchangeable, allways here rumors that you can use the carrier or something but I dont trust it as the TTB D35 was such a bastard child.

There really was a solid D50? What's your source? I've not even gotten Dana to admit to it (I've got IFS and SLA axles for D35/D44 and the D28 IFS, but the only D50 manual I've been able to dig up has been for the TTB/IFS. That's after talking to Dana proper for quite some time...)

I'm not doubting you per se, but if there's something else out there, I'd like to hear about it!

Back