• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering pump options

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
My engine bay is making a noise that sounds like its a bad bearing and im pretty sure its the power steering pump. I took off the belt and the ps pulley seems to make weird noises when spun by hand and the pump itself vibrates quite a bit just when the jeep is idling.

I dont want to put anything that is just going to give me issues again so im wondering what some good options are as far as a replacement goes. I take it that anything i would get from napa or schucks wouldnt be of that great quality. The dealer is asking $320 for a new pump which seems pretty expensive compared to the other ones i have found. Ive found a couple different pumps on quadratec and 4wd.com. They have AGR, PSC, and then some other noname pump. Anybody have experience with any of these pumps?

Thanks for your help
victor

If you don't have the extra funds to get a PSC pump, I would just get a rebuilt unit from a Kragen or Napa, ect.. I have the PSC pump and have had no issues with it in the last 1.5 years its been on the jeep.

$320 for a new pump. Do they atleast take you out for dinner and a movie first?:jester:
I have always had good luck using a rebuilt unit. You can get them at any parts store.

After going through a few reman PS pumps over a short few years I paid the $$$ and put in an OEM pump. Well worth the high cost in the long run, IMHO. My experience with reman aftermarket pumps has not been good at all.

Just replace my Pump yesterday. Vatozone has them for 59.99. But i went with a junkyard one for 30 bucks since they are so easy to install. The guy told me he would give me 30 days on it. Slapped it in bled it and damn thing works great. I can't recomend spending that kind of money when the Junkyard are full of them. And they are so easy to replace.

I hope the oem pump comes with the plastic reservoir attached for that price. If you go with PSC or any other brand make sure you get new clips and o-ring for the reservoir. I would check and make sure the hi pressure line doesn't look bad or else replace that too. make sure you get the right pulley puller. for the record I went with the PSC heavy duty pump.

X2 on getting a good pulley puller, and I'd also pick up the installer. It took me the better part of an hour with a friends help to get my pulley swapped over with the POS $30 VatoZone puller. Better yet, if you have a shop loacal that you're in good with, take it to them and swap then a 6 pack to do the pulley swap for you. Unbelievably I had a bolt with the correct thread to install it, but we went through a lot of cycles of adding and removing washers to get it seated.

wasn't there a thread recently about using the pump from an 01 Grand with the 4.7L V8?
I thought it said something about it bolting up, only needing to plug one outlet (which would drive a hyd pulley on the grand) other than that, it flows better, stronger etc etc.
I'd do a search, pretty sure it was on here. Would make for a good upgrade whether from the junkyard (wouldn't be to old either) or reman'd.

found it
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946090&highlight=ps+pump

I would recommend getting one from the junkyard instead of a reman one from the parts counter.

I hit a deer in my Jeep, and the impact exploded the PS pump pully. I pulled the rest of the pully off, and got a replacement, however it would only go on enough to leave a 1/8" gap on the pully shaft. I ran it like this for awhile, and then just went to the junkyard and got one from a wrecked Jeep. It has worked great ever since.

I have replaced PS pumps before with reman units... and they just plainly suck.

Muad'Dib said:
I would recommend getting one from the junkyard instead of a reman one from the parts counter.

I hit a deer in my Jeep, and the impact exploded the PS pump pully. I pulled the rest of the pully off, and got a replacement, however it would only go on enough to leave a 1/8" gap on the pully shaft. I ran it like this for awhile, and then just went to the junkyard and got one from a wrecked Jeep. It has worked great ever since.

I have replaced PS pumps before with reman units... and they just plainly suck.
The big hassle is the changing of the pully. That takes more time than everything else combined. So get a pump from the JY and save yourself the time and effort to change that stupid pulley.

I think im going to go ahead and order the psc pump. Is there anything that i would need besides just the pump? Will i just use my current fluid reservoir or do i need a new one. Thanks for the help guys.

victor

vbjornsson said:
I think im going to go ahead and order the psc pump. Is there anything that i would need besides just the pump? Will i just use my current fluid reservoir or do i need a new one. Thanks for the help guys.

victor

That depends on whether the vendor offers it with or without reservoir. It can come either way on a reman, don't know about PSC. Repacing the reservoir can be a hassle - the few extra bucks they may charge for it could be worth it. It's your call.

TiRod said:
That depends on whether the vendor offers it with or without reservoir. It can come either way on a reman, don't know about PSC. Repacing the reservoir can be a hassle - the few extra bucks they may charge for it could be worth it. It's your call.

It has an O ring that seals it to the pump. Make sure to change that for a new one. Most of the leaking you see on older pumps comes from weaping around that O ring. They flatten out with age & vibrations. The bolts that hold everything are usually easy to break loose. The tank can be reused, but as I said change that O ring.

Back