• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road Noise?

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my 97 XJ on the road, for the first time. Spent the last two months going over it, put a 2" budget boost on it, including new control arms/bushings in the front, new stock leafs and coils, etc. Also did the universals (all 7) while I was at it.

Now that I'm driving it a bit I notice there is a lot of road noise, starts at just over a crawl, keeps going. No vibes, just a "rumble". It's been two years since my last XJ (that one was a 2000 that my son rolled on me).

Lift was shackles and 1/2" spacers in the rear, 2" coil spacers up front, and bolt pin eliminators. Stock shocks (new) on the jeep.

Is this something that I've just got to get used to, or is there something I can do to quiet things down? All bushings are new, new end unit bearings in the front, no pinion whine.

I do need tires (looking at BFG 31's).

Any comments?

Thanks,

Mark

It's not a gear whine, might be tire noise. I've got to put a set of new tires on it and we'll see. It almost sounds like a rumble in the rear axle outer bearings. I did change the front wheel bearings. Again, it might just be how it is.

Thanks,

Mark

I've been listening to something like this since I bought my 98 in December. I replaced the rear drive shaft U-Joints, outer axle bearings, and did a complete rear brake job. Still it won't go away. The U-Joints and the bakes needed done, but the outer axle bearling didn't seem bad. I also checked the axles to make sure they aren't bent. There was less than .002 runout. Well, then I put on an old set of tires instead of the Wrangler RT/S tires that were nearly new. They were take offs of a brand new Wrangler two years ago. Those tires are HAAAArrrd. So, the rumble went away and it is much smoother going down the highway. I still have a dry-squeak on the drivers side rear as best as I can tell. I notice it more on an off ramp where the weight is shifting to the drivers side while coasting. When I put a slight load on, it goes away. I've decided to wait until it breaks and I've stopped worrying about. Probly the day I put on the new lift and tires, the rear diff will puke,,,,,,

Back