• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace 231 TC with 241OR TC.

I did the swap about 9 months ago on my '94. It was pretty straight forward. I had to get a TruSpeed speedo adaptor to get the 'puter right regarding tire size and gearing as the 241 doesn't have a gear to change out. I don't know what issues (if any) there might be for earlier years. Newer models ('96 & up) would be even easier I would assume.

Not to change the subject, but the 241OR is about the same cost as an Atlas II. I'd go for the Atlas II at that point. Twin sticks, gear driven, and it's pretty easy to install in an XJ, just did one last weekend.

I have been looking at both and you can get the 241 for about 900 used, and the cheapest atlas I have seen is 2000, you know anywhere you can get one cheaper? I would rather have one myself.

Well, used is a different story. My buddy paid around 100 for his Atlas II, but that was the cost of shipping it after winning it at TDS last year. Took him almost a year to get it put in, and it wasn't until we took his 241 out without him knowing that he even attempted it. :) Yeah, most people don't let the Atlas II go, but keep an eye out. If I go away from my 231HD it'll be an Atlas II.

If I'm spending more than a grand on the case, I'm going to do front dig's. I hear the Tera Low works pretty good, but now you've just increased the load on the chain. I did a 1.25" chain when I did my SYE.

If im not mistaken those you pay about a 1000 for, then you still gotta do a sye, and the 241 has all that already part of it.

Thanks for some good food for thought guys. Still leaning toward a used 241 if I can find one. Just want all the info I can get before jumpin in. Thanks again. Hic.

Bottom line is an Atlas is going to cost twice the price of a Rocktrac(1250 vs 2500)! Its a direct bolt-in with a little adjustment on the linkage!

Last edited:
Back