• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo-advice

grimace007

NAXJA Forum User
alright guys heres the low-down

ive searched and searched and read and read and then read some more.

the only thing i can think of is the helical gear on the outputshaft needs replacing.

i have a 1998 jeep cherokee classic. 4.0liter aw4 trans 2wd
i bought the truck with a non working speedometer. the VSS was new.
but was still throwing a speedsensor code, so i replaced it with a mopar VSS,
still no good.

next step i replaced, the plastic gear with another OEM part from the dealer. my old one was chewed to shit! i figured this ould definately be my problem.

still no good. doesnt even budge. no speedo, no odometer.
i did the clusters self test and everything check outs good.

i dont know jeeps very well and am running out of options i have less than 3 weeks to fix my speedo.
because it sets the check engine light on, my car wont pass state inspection..
im basically looking for a second opinion from someone who has experience with jeeps.

yes i sure did, i triple check it.

all i can think of is maybe the helical gear on the output shaft got chewed up when it was chewing up the last gear that was probably clocked wrong

i jus rechecked the clocking and its working now! i was 1 tooth off.. however the speedo reads seemingly true... but bounces around very bad on decelleration

could that be the helical gear on the outputshaft? ive got 2 brand new OEM VSS both with less than 200miles on them..

Unfortunately, running with it misadjusted can tear up the gears. The drive gear on the output shaft is supposed to be a harder plastic, so that if something gets in there, it's the gear on the sensor side that gets munched.

I'm not sure if you can inspect the drive gear through the hole in the tailcone of the AW4. The FSM shows that the helical drive gear can be replaced pretty easily by pulling the tailcone. I don't think you even need to drain the tranny. FSM did not mention it in their steps either.

I just checked my parts list for the part number on the drive gear, which is 83503704. Mail order pricing is $43 from chryslerpartsdirect.com. Ouch.

thanks, maybe ill hit a pick and pull or something. i have an aw4 service manual so i guess thats my next step, especially since i got it halfassed working today
that re-enforces my theory.. ( at least in my head ) oh well 40 bucks aint bad. im used to paying alot more for the cars i restore ;) when they break its usually expensive

either way i think i might be able to sneak it by state inspection since i got the CEL to stay off so in that case i may let it slide till i do the RMS, next month b/c i need to to the trans pan and output shaft seal anyway.. might aswell do it all in one afternoon

i just picked this truck up for 1800bucks the odo reads 114k miles the PO said it broke on him on his trip back from nebraska and he had the VSS replaced ( it was infact new ). and hadnt driven it much maybe 2 or 3 k miles since. so not a bad deal all in all the exterior and interior are immaculate.

thanks for the replies guys. you all have been alot more friendly than a couple of the other jeep forums ive tried for help

oh and went on a 5 miles trip earlier and the speedo doesn work that great... clicks on for a second once in awhile then right back off... but its not setting off the CEL anymore!

Back