• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door rear fender trim

chrisja77

NAXJA Forum User
All of the threads I've seen about trimming fenders has been on 4 door XJ's. I'm wanting to keep the stock flares, and on the 4 door, it's pretty simple.....either move it up to the door frame or cut the flare and put half on the door.... My question is, on a 2 door, where is best to mount the flare and trim to? Could you go up to the body crease safely like done in the front or is that too much?

Im pretty sure its just like the four doors.. probably easier becuase you have more room to work with. I have a two door as well. I just did away with the flairs completely and cut and folded the rear. worked out great for me.

The wheel wells themselves are the same.You will have to do the same amount of work.The only difference is that you dont have to worry about half of the flare ending up on the door!

I hear alot of people talking about when they cut and fold, the results turn out really crappy. This is my DD, and I am wanting to keep the stock flares....little fyi for ya. I guess it helps to cut the tabs as small as possible to make for a smoother curve? How far between cuts should there be?

yea and if anyone has any pics of the cut and fold method as they did it woudl be greatly appreciated...i have a 4 door and would like to bring the rears up some

I did about an inch or so, it came out ok. Just dont cut all the way to the crease were you fold or else you will see part of the cut.. But i dont DD mine either so i wasnt to concerned. I have seen a few really cleanly done cut and folds though.

Here are my fronts.
Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

MY rears. I cut up to the pinch welds and then did the cut and fold teqnique.
Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture021.jpg

I cut a bit past the pinch seam.
P1010764.jpg

P1010701.jpg

22519013353.jpg

I still need to add bumpstops to the rear, as I can still rub on the top.
FYI, 35s on ~6.5'' of lift.

You can't cut up to the body line in the rear because of the pinch seam. Unless you know how to weld and fabricate and weld in a new custom fender liner and weld it to the fender for stability. This is a unibody so every componenet of the body is structural.

Back