• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn signal and Dome light malfunction...

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
88 4.0 5spd,

I have been looking around here alot, have seen some symptoms like what I have, but not my specific problem, so here goes.

When I have my headlights or parking lights on; the left hand turn signal is illuminated constant on my dash, where-as my front right hand turn signal itself is lit constant. Also am having occasional episodes where the interior lights come on, very dimly for a min or less.
The dome light thing started happening first. So I ordered a new headlight switch. I installed it this weekend and no difference.
Also when I was checking things I noticed that my driverside parking and front turn signal seem more dim than the passenger side.
So are these two occurances realated?

Do you think its a ground fault, or mechanical (ie switch or relay) issue?
I have not pulled the signals yet to check the wiring as my newly installed JCR prerunner bumper does not allow clearance to remove the turnsignals when the bumper is on so I will need to drop the bumper to check that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Kyle

Ground issue, my 87 had the turn signal issue too....

Clean the grounds for the lights and check the condition of the sockets, if they are corroded, get new ones.....

I just got the jeep back a few weeks ago and it was supposed to have new sockets put in on all four corners (hit a semi). Unfortunatly I have no intrest in letting the shop that did the work any where near my jeep again (lots of other issues) anyhow.

Would I be looking to check that the turnsignal sockets are in proper order or should I also check the headlight sockets.

Is the intermittent dome light part of this problem?

I don't think your headlamp sockets have anything to do with this.....

Check the turn signal sockets....

The dome light maybe a door switch that is intermittently making ground and turning on the light....

I'm thinking poor grounds or corroded sockets at either the turn signal or the side light sockets as well. I'll bet if you pull the light out and add a temporary ground wire, the problem will go away. If it does, you can add a new permanent ground wire.

Back