• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Quit On Me

scubadvr

NAXJA Forum User
I did a little research on the forum and some research on my own. Basically this is the deal. I have a 99 Limited, 4.0, 242, AW4, 49000 miles. I ran my A/C atleast once a month during the winter, but I went to use it yesterday and nothing. I noticed that when I have the A/C running the compressor runs for about 2-3 seconds then turns off for about 5 seconds and then turns back on for 2-3. This just keeps happening. I messured the refrigerant level. When the compressor is not running its in the blue, when it kicks on, it drops down to lower level green. I can't find any leaks, and all the hoses look good.

I am now beyond my level. Anyone know anything about this? Where else should I look? Or should I just bring it to a shop?

I'm a bit confused over the symptoms. When you say "nothing", what do you mean? Are you not getting cold air yet the compressor is cycling?

Blue/green? Is this from a gauge? If so, is it one on the can or do you have a set of gauges?

If on the can, did you recharge it?

Make sure your setting is on normal AC and not on defrost.

Sounds like its low, the compressor has a low press switch that shuts it off when the charge is too low. Could be on the border line low press. system off press high enough, starts compressing drops below limit. and cylces like this. not sure on the blue green readings your giving, but full system is 40psi or about 30 min i think? you may wanna try topping it off if its not at full charge. other possiblity if its full is a faulty low press switch or other electrical problem.

Sorry about the crappy description.

When I have the A/C on any of the setting, there is no cold air. The compressor turns on for 2-3 seconds then shuts off for 5 seconds, then back on for 2-3 and the cycle just continues.

As far as the colors, I borrowed a neighbors A/C recharge kit that had a gauge on it. After running thru the steps again, I found the following:

With the above mentioned times, the pressure when the compressor is off is around 40-45 psi. The when the comp turns on, the pressure begins to drop down to 10, then it turns off and the pressure builds back up. So on and so forth.

Ok, so now it sounds like your low on charge like milehigh said. With the AC set to normal (not recirc), fan at highest setting, the pressure on the low side should be around 35-40 psi. It really depends on the ambient air temp but I suspect it not that hot yet in VA.

If you lost some refrigerant, you may have a leak somewhere.

If it's low, the Freon is leaking somewhere. I would suspect a bad evaporator. They are famous for this. I have replaced them in my 97 and my 01. It's not a bad job, but will take you all day and some more, and you don't have the equipment you will have to take it to someone to pull a vacuum and recharge. If you want to try it PM me and I'll give you a write up I did.

Back