• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor Pan Repair

apsdad

Cherokee Madness
I know the floor pans on my 96 XJ have a few holes. And yes, I did a search and have been reading the thread on the floor pan replacement. Here's my question. Has any body had success (or even tried) doing a repair with fiberglass.

Here's what I was thinking. Get down to the floor pan and sandblast to clean metal where there is metal left. Then lay a layer of fiberglass cloth and resin. Add asecond layer of cloth at a 45 degree angle.

Will it do the job and maintain the strength and load requirements for a unibody?

If the pan is far enough gone to need replacement, I would get another body, but that is just me. I have been recently patching some newly discovered holes in 2 of mine, hole big enough to put your fist through at the worst. I started by putting a rust neutralizing primer like Permatex makes, brush on stuff, goes right over red rust and converts it to a primer, then I just used house foam in a can stuff (Great Stuff TM), then coated over the foam with a 35 year siliconized acrylic latex caulk (from the outside of the hole), then sprayed that with a black rubberized top coat in a can aerosol. So far so good. No problems with it. The smaller spots I did the same thing except left out the Great Stuff foam. I found a new hole this weekend I am planning to use fiberglass on first, covered with with a metal heat shield over it. It is near my exhaust pipe and I think an exhaust leak (NO + water =nitric acid) which is why it rusted so fast. I picked up some fiberglass exhaust bandage material I am thinking about using since it is designed for exhaust leaks, and I may use it on the floor hole near the exhaust pipe.

One idea I have considered is to use fine wire cloth and fender washers with rivets to cover the hole first on larger holes, then cover that with fiberglass resin, then cover that with fiberglass resin and cloth. That should hold pretty well.

If I was a welder like many of the guys here, I might do it differently, allas I have no welding eq. or welding skills.

You need to keep in mind that (1) the floorpan attaches to the frame rails and (2) the outer body attaches to the floorpan. If the holes are small and not around the frame rails then yeah patch 'em up. However if the holes are large or are at/around the frame rails then you will need to weld in sheet metal in order to maintain structural integrity. You don't want the shell falling off.

Back