• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix timimg chain noise

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Who else has timing chain noise on their renix?I'm wondering if it's a renix thing or what.
My old motor had it and the fresh one I dropped in there a few years back has it too.I replaced the timing set and the timing is still noisey.Mike(89grayxj)came by a few weeks ago to pick up some rock sliders and his 87 makes the same noise.
I was just reading a thread on here about the newer motors having a quieter timing set by design....thats what prompted me to start this thread.I was going to add a poll option but couldn't figure out how to do it

I'm in this one with ya! I'm waiting for a definitive "yes the newer chain is quieter" from some that have used it and I'm gonna give it a shot. I like the idea of a roller chain as I think they reduce internal harmonic vibrations in the valvetrain-- not that I have any problem at the low RPM these things run, but for longevity it can't hurt!

your renix timing set is noisey too?I can hear mine while sitting at a stop light with the windows down.
I have removed the a/c condensor from in front of the radiator and cut some of the fins out of the grill for more airflow so I think thats why the noise is louder.
When we (89grayxj)listened to his it wasn't as loud because he still has his a/c condensor in front of the radiator.
I'll record a sound clip and try to figure out how to post it in this thread....any ideas on how to post a sound clip?

Who else has a noisey chain on their renix???Chime in...we're starting a support group!!!LOL

Interesting. My 88 has a bit of lifter noise and I can hear the injectors with the hood open but nothing from the timing chain as far as I can tell.

With the hood closed, it's pretty quiet.

It is a normal noise. Mine older one did it and I think my newer Renix also does it but my Magnaflow muffler is too loud to hear it. I think it's a Renix normality.

my mind is slowly being put to ease.As far as the quieter chain is concerned,as it turns out when I did my timing set a few months back the timing set I installed from the parts store is actually the quieter design chain...sounds the same as the other style of chain.Yes I am aware of injector/lifter noise....I have verified the noise comming from the timing cover with a mechanics stethoscope.

The timing set that came on the motor:Thanks Maud'Dib for the photo's

and the set I installed a few months ago(supposedly the quieter design but sounds the same as the one in the above pic)

Last edited:
i have not worked on a renix that does not have atleast a slight rattle under the timing cover.

nature of the beast i guess, or me just putting things off until that one day it goes boom

Hmm, if you have changed the whole timing set it should be running quiet, i changed mine over a year ago the main problem was the tensioner shoe worn down, i could have just changed the tensioner and cured the problem but i had the set so i changed everything, the old chain and sprockets were in very good condition, i feel your pain the tick over rattle is so annoying. When you fitted the tensioner did you release the tension with the little plastic lever?..........cya

tag said:
Yeah, that's what i have but the timing set is the same as the 4L , i cant get a pic up of my old tensioner to show you. ..... yours must be different.....

Yea I had a 2.5 before so I know what you're talking about.The 4.0 uses a different tensioner.

87 Waggy. Same sound. I have replaced my chain as well thinking it was shot. 2 months later same thing. Must be a RENIX thing.

Back