• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

:idea: Awesome deal...need to know if it will work (AX5 & NP231 into an 84)

firefight343

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my issue: I have the "red-headed step-child" of cherokees (as one member put it) a 1984 2.8L V6, NP207 t-case, Torqueflight 904 transmission (3-spd auto) which is on its way out, with 3.5 inches of lift and 33's--i know its a hog...and a sucky one at that--but it was my first rig and I love it.

The good news: Saw a craigslist ad for an AX5 tranny and NP231 (both out of the same XJ) being sold by a guy who knew quite a bit about XJ's (even mine which is rare unless you own one). I'd be getting both (pulled in operating condition) for $200--I'm a full-time college kid and thats just within my price range)

Question: I know that I'm going to be chopping up my console, and adding a pedal but is there anything else I'm going to need to purchase other than the tranny, t-case, driveshafts, and shifter? This is my first big project on my XJ and first time doing a tranny and t-case swap. I know the two mate together...but will they work with my set-up?

(edit: I know that there are plenty of threads out there on auto to manual swaps...im looking for any additional info that might be useful to me taking into consideration my equipment [which is not exactly the most popular out there], or any pitfalls, hints and tips as far as the actual swap goes. Thanks again...)

Thanks
Ed
:patriot:

Last edited:
Back