• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another death wobble 911 Please help ASAP

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I did search and read every thread I could find but I'm sure I'll still get :flame: . My jeep just started the DW today on the way home from work. I checked all the Ball joints bushings and rod ends. All Tight. But I can move the tires back and forth about 1 or two inches by hand when up on jack stands. I don't think thats normal? If all the steering stuff is tight what would make it do that.

I got ta get this fixed tonight I have to work in the AM and have no other car.
HELP PLEASE:rattle:

When you do this does it move the pitman arm as well? Put the jeep on the ground and have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth, and look over everything while doing this.

A really ghetto and unsafe way to cure this in a TEMPORARY mannor is to air down. Its gotten friends of mine by until the problem could be solved.

BlueCuda said:
When you do this does it move the pitman arm as well? .
yes the pitman moves on both ends. That may be another problem huh?

I had the old lady wiggle the steering wheel and the rod end of the track bar was moving around quite a bit. Thats more than likly the problem. It's a tera flex I wander if it can be replaced or if I need a new track bar?

I'll try the airing down thing for in the morning!! Thanks:worship: :worship: :worship: :cheers: :cheers:

911, what is your emergency? :D

97XJ Jeeper said:

Goat Try and fix tonight so I can go to work in the AM

Thought I said that,OH YEAH I DID :soapbox: :twak:

If this just started tonight, did you hit something, like a potholem, on the way home? I had DW that I could not get rid of in my 2000. I checked everything and replaced some parts too. I replaced the cheapo tires on it with some BFG ATs and have never had the DW since.

No didn't hit anything that I noticed. I have BFG AT's as well.

Looked at teraflex's website and they said that the track bar should be able to move up and down a little but doesn't seem normal to me.

Hmmm....

Sounds like worn parts to me....

CAB's and track bar along with all the steering components could be conspiring against you....( I have seen even wear throughout, yet all combined caused DW)

I only get DW if I am at speed on the beach and in 4wd (when it's in 2hi, no DW)....Don't why, but it always does it..... Also 4HI and gravel = no DW

jdxj said:
97XJ Jeeper said:
Goat Try and fix tonight so I can go to work in the AM

Thought I said that,OH YEAH I DID :soapbox: :twak:
It was a joke, that is what the dispatcher says when you call 911:callme:
:doh:hasta:twak::moon:
:cheers:

97XJ Jeeper said:
It was a joke, that is what the dispatcher says when you call 911:callme:
:doh:hasta:twak::moon:
:cheers:

I know I was joking as well CHE CHE HA HA:laugh3:

All ofmy bushings and balljoints and rod ends seem nice and tight but, the upper end on the Trackbar moves up and down about 1/2 in or so. Not side to side but up and down. Seems wierd to me but any way I'll get a new TB in the morning and hope that fixes it.

I would say you TB is at fault....

I just crawled out from under mine (removed the speedo cable), while I was under I gave everything a good shake, nothing wiggles, though my Control arm bushings are dried and cracked.....

When i had death wobble i thought i was going to die whenever it hit, and it hit as low as at 35. What made the most difference intialy was i ballenced my tires (32s with most of the weights scraped/fallen off). Then i could feel it it a little bit befor it hit. the biggest difference was the trackbar, i havent taken it over 50 yet but it seems great! thats with my upper control arm bushings in horrible condition too, over half missing. I have some polyurithan bushings to put in soon.

Long story short, a new track bar made it fine, even though there is plenty still wrong with it.

YA I ordered a new TB today from BDS. Should have it in a day or 2

Back