• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Q on Police Edition

i though Atascadero was the only city who had a police edition. i didnt know they were around. They had one here but sold it to the city.

U.S. Forest Service had several at one time. Don't remember which years that was but at least 10-15 years ago.

Don't know about the gear ratio, but I don't recall hearing that police edition changed the gearing. It did get an extended idle switch and heavy alternator and cooling package though.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I know HaleYes's had 3.55's stock. JIM.

Mine was owned by the Corps of Engineers before I bought it, and it had all of the things mentioned above.... including the 3.55 gears.

I've seen a few '96 era Arizona Dept of Public Safety surplus XJs at auctions in the last year and have looked up a few of the vin numbers. They all had the 3.55 diff. Usually what you find are tow hooks, skids, HD cooling & tranny cooler, possibly high idle switch, better alternator, 20 gal tank, possibly manual windows and side mirrors. The diff could be either

One at a recent auction had a anti-spin diff and up-country suspension - these were used for motorist assistance I think. Some have had the pillar spot light but that might have been a dealer or motor pool modification.

Otherwise a basic SE level fleet XJ.

90Blue_XJ said:
U.S. Forest Service had several at one time. Don't remember which years that was but at least 10-15 years ago.

There are still some in service in Montana, though you don't see them nearly as often as the pickups. The XJs that I have seen didn't look particularly old or beat up, either.

My 87 XJ came from the US National Park service out of Oregon. They sold it in 1995, with just under 100,000 Miles on the ticker.....(courtesy, Carfax)

If you search Ebay, you can find lot's of em, or evena web search of your state vehicle auction can turn them up....

Someone got smart and ditched the pukegoat and tossed in the AW4, but they kept the pukegoat gearing of 3.07:1

Not great for towing, but than again, not great for economy and performance either. Just a little low RPM for the power band......

Back