• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FNG fm. E. OR

comancheap

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy all, thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Trent and I go to college (graduating in June!) and work at a steel warehouse over here in La Grande OR. I picked up an '88 Limited 2dr in the TriCities last night for $800, drove it home and rolled 110k on it this morning. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this platform but have wanted a 2dr or Manche (as my name suggests) for a long time, and I'm happy this one finally fell in my lap!

cherokeepassenger1.jpg

cherokeeintgauges.jpg

There's a pic of it, so far I've found that it needs some paint, some lift, some new shocks, and a locker or two. It seems pretty sound mechanically, only seems to be a couple issues that need addressed.

For instance, since I can't afford a manual just yet, the PO installed a new valve cover gasket but I'm thinking it may still be leaking...what are the bolts supposed to be torqued to?

I'm not new to wheeling, just new to this platform. My other rig is an '87 Nissan Hardbody that has a Waggy D44 up front and is gradually progressing towards being driveable again.

016.jpg

006.jpg

Anyway, enough of my rambling, thanks for having me along!

Welcome to NAXJA!
Thats a pretty good looking rig and with low mileage too. As far as VCG bolt torque I dont know the spec, or if there is even one (I looked it up on ALLData and nothing was shown) Nissans nice looking too, plus your running Trxussssaurusesssss on it, so you'll fit right in. :thumbup: :D

Good luck with your build:wave:
-Ryan

Blkxjkrawler said:
Welcome to NAXJA!
Thats a pretty good looking rig and with low mileage too. As far as VCG bolt torque I dont know the spec (I looked it up on ALLData and nothing was shown) Nissans nice looking too, plus your running Trxussssaurusesssss on it, so you'll fit right in. :thumbup: :D

Good luck with your build:wave:
-Ryan

I went and looked a little deeper, the FSM says that 88/89 are 55 in/lbs, 91 is 70 in/lbs 92 is 85 in/lbs. FWIW I've never torqued mine just snugged them down by feel.

Nice XJ...

And welcome to the board!

I too own a 2dr. I really do enjoy it alot. Even though it's former life was a mallcrawler with accosional trips to Mt. Hood, she really does well on the sand here in Long Beach. (WA not CA)

Welcome, and for the record, 2 doors are cooler than 4. It's a scientific fact that can not be disputed.

-Jeremy

I thought when I got it that it would be difficult to get my kids in and out....

I was proven wrong by the previous owners kids.....

I love the thing, now it's time to:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket
(proper credit where it's due of course!!)

and put some time into this thing...

OD-XJ said:
Welcome, and for the record, 2 doors are cooler than 4. It's a scientific fact that can not be disputed.

-Jeremy

Amen!

Thanks for the welcomes!:cheers:
I know I'm going to like it. It's been really fun to drive, and I'm sure it will continue to be. I'm thinking mild DD-type build, 3" for 31s or 4.5" for some narrow 33s, gears, bumpers, and some sort of LSD or lunchbox in the front. It feels like it has an LSD in the rear, is that possible/probable?

242 tcase, I'm sure I'll like that in the winters (no thumbsup smiley?)

Oh, and the lastara wheels have to go!

comancheap said:
It feels like it has an LSD in the rear, is that possible/probable?

It's possible. Check to see if the diff cover has a tag. Your Jeep looks a lot like mine when I first got it. Have fun.

-Jeremy

comancheap said:
Amen!

Thanks for the welcomes!:cheers:
I know I'm going to like it. It's been really fun to drive, and I'm sure it will continue to be. I'm thinking mild DD-type build, 3" for 31s or 4.5" for some narrow 33s, gears, bumpers, and some sort of LSD or lunchbox in the front. It feels like it has an LSD in the rear, is that possible/probable?

242 tcase, I'm sure I'll like that in the winters (no thumbsup smiley?)

Oh, and the lastara wheels have to go!

Check this out...

http://www.wingnutooa.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=garage&action=display&thread=363&page=1

Right up your alley, I would think...

Oh yeah... put 'er in neutral (t-case), jack up one rear tire, try to rotate tire... if you can't, you've got an LSD...

If you do have an LSD (mine does), you should have a tag that says something like this "Use Limted slip lube" or something similar...

Also there should be a sticker in the glove box that gives a warning about running the vehicle while in gear and off the ground....

"This vehicle equipped with limited slip rear differential, Both rear wheels should raise to prevent unwanted vehicle movement" or something to that effect as well....

If I can find a good pair of AA batteries I will take a pciture of my glove box sticker....

Now, I am off to pull out my speedo cable......(whole different post....)

My speedo needle jumps around too...but one of my last rigs went another 80k after the needle started doing that, so I'm going to see what happens with this one.

Cool write up on the lift...question though, if I had access to some 4" TJ springs, how much lift would they provide and would that be recommended or should I look for some XJ-specific stuff?

I like the Search feature here, most forums I'm on it doesn't work worth a crap.

Not sure about the feasability of TJ springs... I would think that if they fit an XJ, there would be some sort of post about it... I know the aftermarket uses different part #s for same lift height... not sure about going much higher than 3 inches or so w/ stock control arms... I've seen people from other forums use F-150 coils, but the ride is extremely harsh, with the Fords needing alot more spring rate than a much lighter XJ... I took mine for a 200-mile trip today, and am EXTREMELY happy with the ride quality... rides just like it did before lifting, and no steering or driveline issues...

Not sure if this helps, but there ya' go! I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the thing... extreme rock-crawling and huge tires, or a very capable dailey driver... gonna Aussie the rear of mine, do some rocker protection and bumpers and call 'er a day!

XJ coils and TJ front coils are the same diameter...I can't seem to find anything about using them in the front of an XJ however:dunno:

Back