• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help with A/C woes....

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
A/C's not working in my 2000, the compressor doesnt kick on(The center hub doesnt spin) I checked the pressure on what i belive was the low pressure side, near the firewall. hose that is normally cold when its running, the press was 120psi. Last year when i checked this running of course was 40psi. Should this read really low if the compressor isnt kicking on or does it read high like this? Aside from that why would the press be so high? Thanks in advance guys.

With the compressor not running, the pressure will normalize and be the same on both side (high and low). Once running, the low side should read around 40 psi, high side around 250, depending on outside air temp.

There is a wire coming off the ac clutch. Disconnect it and put 12V to the end going to the AC clutch and see if it engages. Do this first with the engine off. Then start the engine, jump the wire and check the low side pressure. If it seems OK, then check the air temp to see if it's getting cold. If so, you got an electrical problem

Thanks makes sense. Well im thinking i dont have a leak then and its not turning on due to low press. I could only hope for an electrical problem, i can do that myself. A/C always gets expensive when ya gotta take it to the shop. Ill try that out when i have some time to get to it, thanks again.

Get yourself a gauge set before you try and bypass the clutch AC safety wiring with a direct 12 volts. You want to watch the high pressure side and make sure it does not go over 250 psi, otherwise you risk blowing a hose or the condenser on the high side. I think 225 psi is the highest it should go on the high side even at 100 F in 100% humidity with R-134a.

Harbur Freight has the gauge sets on sale regularly for just $34.95.

90-120 psi (increasses with increased ambient outdoor temperature) on both sides is normal before it is turned on, if it has not been on for say 30 minutes (maybe less).

There is an A/C relay and at least 2 if not three switches in series, pressure and temperature switches that cycle the clutch.

Back