• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper control arm bushing replacement

yj4roks

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the stupid question of the day...I did a search and could only find topics on the install.

I rented the tools to install the upper control arm bushings..the passenger side went in easy. the drive side is what seems to be part way in. I pressed it in to the point of where the bushing sleeve goes to a larger diameter..at that point it won't go any further. Does anyone know if the driver side is only supposed to go to that point? It looks centered in the casting on the differential which would make sense in my pee brain (the bushing/sleeve have about quarter inch showing on each side past the cast holder on the diff). I don't see how it could go in any further...but the passenger side did go all the way in so the flange is resting against the mount. I didn't pay much attention when I pulled the axle out because I wasn't pulling it for that reason...it was going for a re-gear and the builder called and asked if I wanted the bushings removed since they were shot.
Any help would be great! I am new the XJ thing so I am on a learning curve!

Replaced both my factory rubber bushings two weeks ago while installing RE Drop Brackets...
This is what it should look like when installed....

standard.jpg

thanks man...I was sure it was right but new to this type rig so I figured I better check!! THis wouldn't happen to be Charles Stein!?!? This is Chris with Geared four Fun...
Funny because I just talked to Kirt S. and he has a 2WD XJ for work...he just gave me the same info as you! I scored a 1990 Limited that has been fairly well set up for a FREE rig. See you out there...thanks again for taking the time to snap a photo!!!

Back