• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just my Luck..

futbol4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
So when I thought all was good, and my jeep was running perfect. My carpet starts smolthering. While driving to the girlfriends house, right above the back tip of my muffler it starts to burn... So my dad and I have started our new project. Cutting out all the rust and replacing the floorboards. Then using some kind of bedliner. Not sure which one to use... This is the first for us so any tips are appreciated. Best do it yourself bed liner? Where to get it? Rivet or weld or a combo for fastening the new metal down?

Thanks
Mike

Passenger side
DSC00510.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Driver side
DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

This is the hole that started to burn my carpet. Top left.
DSC00505.jpg

The seats that are going in.
DSC00521.jpg

My work area.
DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

herculiner works well. you can get it at auto parts stores. i would either buy new floor pans or steal the from another XJ. ive heard you can use structural adhesive. then secure it with sheet metal screws. then cut the tips off the screws.

With that much rust spread throughout, riveting seems your best option. It will be very tough to weld to the rusted areas. Clean and grind away as much rust as you can, neutralize the rest with POR 15, clean it up and paint it with a couple of coats of Hammerite.

I'd actually be inclined to get another XJ if mine were that rusted out.

This is how far we are. Haven"t had to much time to work on it. Just a couple hours here and there. Screwing the floor pans down. Started to sand and should be belined during the week...

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

Back