• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Temp Sensor

Battery temp sensor? That a Canadian thing, or what?
I don't have any battery temp sensors on my battery.

Ive got one on mine. Last week I actually replaced my battery tray for $5 because it was cracked and such so I've got a spare I'd give ya for free if It wasnt for the shipping. Id say give a shot on the junk yard and if it's a lot of money, shoot me a pm and I can send ya one if you pay shipping.

Yeah, thats what that little sensor is under your battery. Its used to extend the life of your charging system.

When its cold out, it charges higher
When its hot out, it charges less

I'm getting code
P1493 Ambient/Batt Temp Sen Volts Too Low (Chrysler, Jeep)
and I think I chaffed the wire while I had the battery installed (pinched the wire). So I'm gonna replace the sensor if its fairly cheap and see if my CEL goes out.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and bought a new sensor.

BBeach said:
Ive got one on mine. Last week I actually replaced my battery tray for $5 because it was cracked and such so I've got a spare I'd give ya for free if It wasnt for the shipping. Id say give a shot on the junk yard and if it's a lot of money, shoot me a pm and I can send ya one if you pay shipping.

Thanks for the offer man! Appreciate it. I was just being lazy this morning. I'm going to call the dealership and see how much. If its expensive I have a local wrecker here I can grab one from.

Thanks again!

Throttle said:
Because yours is too old. It hadn't come out yet.
My jeep is a 1998.

They just don't make them"tough" like they use to!

Dustn525 said:
So what year did the battery temp sensor arrive?

OBD-II - 1996 or so. It's supposed to increase battery life by reducing overcharging. Excess heat is usually a symptom of overcharging the battery, so the battery temperature sensor provides extra feedback to the regulator circuit (which is in the PCM for ChryCo, and it's turning up there in other vehicles as well.)

Throttle said:
Yeah, thats what that little sensor is under your battery. Its used to extend the life of your charging system.

When its cold out, it charges higher
When its hot out, it charges less

I'm getting code
P1493 Ambient/Batt Temp Sen Volts Too Low (Chrysler, Jeep)
and I think I chaffed the wire while I had the battery installed (pinched the wire). So I'm gonna replace the sensor if its fairly cheap and see if my CEL goes out.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and bought a new sensor.

I had that same trouble code. I got a new sensor from an eBay store for $10. It was from a TJ, but they're exactly the same as an XJ.

-edit- Here's the one I bought back in October.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...sor-97-06_W0QQitemZ350049358921QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Back