• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size wich do i need for an xj

sinisterxj

NAXJA Forum User
budget wise i would like to stay as small as possible tsc has a champion 8000lb for a decent price.. is that enough you think? here is the link http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_49372_______14297|14344|49372?listingPage=true

mecompco said:
Extra capacity is never a bad thing--what if you needed to recover a larger vehicle?

I sold winches and anchor windlasses for sailboats for many years. I never in all that time had a customer come back after installing and using one to say they wished they had got a smaller one. I had many customers come back to say "i wish i had taken your advice and got the next size up."

that was always my advice. figure out what size you need and then get the next size up. that leaves you capacity for the unexpected uses. like using your boom and main halyard to winch a pair of 8D gel cells aboard when the dock is at the wrong height. while the specific circumstances are different off roading the concept remains the same

I got a 10k atlas from gregsmithequipment.com for under 300 shipped and so far it's held up pretty good. Not as fast as others but still on the cheap and works well.

xalexjx said:
smittybuilt xcr8! have one and it works great.. It was even strong enough to break the cable that came on it.
I wouldn't necessarily say that as a positive, but I have heard good things about the xcr, and it's CHEAP

H8PVMT said:
I wouldn't necessarily say that as a positive, but I have heard good things about the xcr, and it's CHEAP

yeah with a two year warrenty, if it breaks ill just buy another. I like it just as much as the warn i have sitting in the garage. But when ever i hit the button on the smitty it pulls me out. not super fast but it gets the job done.

Bite the bullet and get a Warn. You only spend the money once that way.

I have used my Ramsey 8000 lb. without mercy. I do tree removal and used it to recover storm damaged tree's from the lake, I had to chain the rear of my XJ to a solid tree for anchor. My neighbor burned his champion up by setting something on the controller and is looking to rebuild it, he used it on his car hauler trailer.

Back