• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Swap HELP!

89cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of swapping out my Pugeot BA10 for an AW4 and have a question... My Jeep is an 89, and the Jeep that I got the transmission from is a 91, therefore my transfer case splines don't match up. Unfortunately, I did not get the transfer case from the donor Jeep.

Is it possible to take the input shaft from the BA10 and put it into the AW4 so that I can still use my existing transfer case? This would save me a lot of money. Thanks!

89cherokee89 said:
Is it possible to take the input shaft from the BA10 and put it into the AW4 so that I can still use my existing transfer case? This would save me a lot of money. Thanks!
What you essentially have to do is get the input shaft from a newer model transfer case and put it in your old one. Changing the input shafts of the transmissions would get you nowhere.

Ahhhhh got cha. Now I feel dumb. Hahaha. I'm just trying to find the cheapest option... maybe a junk yard would switch the input shaft with me... nah, i must be dreaming...

89cherokee89 said:

Interesting. Very curious to how this works out. Please do a write up on this, would like know how this works out.

But yeah easier to just grab up another tcase then to swap a shaft but I guess the choice depends on your mechanical skill and your time/budget. But good luck with the build.

I have an extra 21 spline 242, but i think shipping to GA might be prohibitive. if you cant find one local cheap you can pm me.

EDIT read that wrong. you need a 23 spline tc sorry.

why not Ax 15 or nv 3550?why are you going auto?The trans your putting in has a computer controlled shift.You should be able to to find on of the manuals mated to a np231 for around $350 or so. It's a direct swap!!

JACK

MiNi Beast said:
Interesting. Very curious to how this works out. Please do a write up on this, would like know how this works out.

But yeah easier to just grab up another tcase then to swap a shaft but I guess the choice depends on your mechanical skill and your time/budget. But good luck with the build.

Okay, I'll make sure to do a good write up on how the controller works. I've heard great things about it so far. I emailed the guy (BrettM) and he said the initial reason behind making the controller was for the exact same swap that I am doing. He didn't want to mess with splicing all the wires so he made the controller. I'm pretty excited about seeing how it works.

1sickhick said:
why not Ax 15 or nv 3550?why are you going auto?The trans your putting in has a computer controlled shift.You should be able to to find on of the manuals mated to a np231 for around $350 or so. It's a direct swap!!

JACK

Well, the deal we got on the AW4 was pretty impressive at $100. So after the transmission controller ($140) it will be a total of $240. Still cheaper than an AX15. I am hoping to either swap out the input shafts with the junkyard... or just sell mine and buy another one. Trust me, I wanted the AX15, but everywhere I looked, it seemed that they were more expensive than the AW4 overall.

And honestly, as dumb as it may sound, I really want to gain the experiance of doing a manual to auto swap. And how cool would it be to have a manumatic Jeep? hahaha

89cherokee89 said:
Well, the deal we got on the AW4 was pretty impressive at $100. So after the transmission controller ($140) it will be a total of $240. Still cheaper than an AX15. I am hoping to either swap out the input shafts with the junkyard... or just sell mine and buy another one. Trust me, I wanted the AX15, but everywhere I looked, it seemed that they were more expensive than the AW4 overall.

And honestly, as dumb as it may sound, I really want to gain the experiance of doing a manual to auto swap. And how cool would it be to have a manumatic Jeep? hahaha
I don't blame you for wanting the exp..good luck.I hope to see a write up on this soon.And it's doesn't sound dumb.

JACK

haha thanks man. Yeah, it should be fun. We already have the old tranny out and we just need to get that transfer case that fits our transmission (the 23 spline) and then we can get started.

Back