• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Woes

xj2win

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to be having some transmission problems recently. I have a 92 XJ with the 5 speed. Accelerating I am able to shift regularly at low rpms, <2000. At rpms 2000+ and any deceleration, I can still shift, but it is very hard to get it to shift into the gears. When the engine is off, I can row through the gears no problems. I was thinking that I may have had an air bubble keeping the clutch from disengaging completely, but I rebled it and didn't see any air come out. I searched around and couldn't find a single thread about people having trouble with their 5 speeds.

What kind of transmission fluid are you running? Hopefully not GL-5...and how many miles on your transmission also.

Drain the tranny fluid ASAP, and replace it with Redline MT-90. I had the same problem, MT-90 solved the problem. Search and read up on the problems with GL-4 and GL-5 manual gear T fluid eating up brass synchronizers which causes your problem!!!!

x2 on the MT-90. I put the MT-90 in as well...shifts VERY smoothly now. I ran GL-5 for years before I found out about the misprint in the service manuals, and what it does to the synchros.

Thanks for the info. It seemed to run fine today after bleeding it and shifted alright, but I'll definitely switch to Redline MT90. I've replaced syncros before and it SUCKS.

Just to clarify, is GL4 acceptable, but not GL5, or does it have more to do with the MT90 being synthetic. The MT90 seems to be listed as a GL4 type oil. Also, I don't think my syncros are in too bad of shape, or that they were even specifically the problem as I tried double-clutching it to get it to go into gear, and it was the same difficulty. Bled the system and it seems to shifting fine currently. Replaced whatever was in the trans with MT90 just for good karma anyways.

GL-3 was originally specified for the AX-15. You can't get it anymore so GL-4 will work. From what I understand, GL-5 has a high sulfur content which is corrosive to non-ferrous metals like bronze. I'm not sure if "regular" GL-4 is completely free of corrosive materials, but the Redline MT-90 is and won't chow down on your transmission. There are other good ones, from what I understand, but I have chosen the Redline product. I am amazed at the difference in shifting quality between the Redline MT-90 and the Valvoline 75w-90 GL-5 I was using. Geez, I sound like a commercial.

Well, it didn't alleviate the problem. It hasn't locked up again, but it still is hard to shift at any RPMs above about 2-2.5K. Below that it shifts as normal. Seems to get harder to shift the greater the load on the engine. Should I be looking at the syncros, or at the clutch? I installed a new clutch under 3000 miles ago and it was shifting great until about two weeks ago.

xj2win said:
Well, it didn't alleviate the problem. It hasn't locked up again, but it still is hard to shift at any RPMs above about 2-2.5K. Below that it shifts as normal. Seems to get harder to shift the greater the load on the engine. Should I be looking at the syncros, or at the clutch? I installed a new clutch under 3000 miles ago and it was shifting great until about two weeks ago.

did you replace the slave when you did the clutch?

does double clutching help?

Any more help? I've tried pumping it to build pressure, double clutching, changed the trans fluid, and nothing makes it shift easily at high rpms. The problem seems more prevalent once I drive around for a while and get it up to operating temp. Any ideas?

Just to update this, after some tinkering I've determined the problem that is my clutch is not fully disengaging. I need to either adjust the linkage, or am experiencing an internal leak in the master cylinder. Will update what I do to fix it.

sounds like the slave. there is no linkage to adjust.

did you get the flywheel resurfaced when you did the clutch? some have reported poor clutch engagement when they got the flywheel resurfaced. i got mine resurfaced without having any problems.

FWIW I always replace the throwout bearing and clutch plate when replacing a clutch. Could be an internal seal leak in the master or slave cylinder, or air in the line, or the T-bearing or clutch plate if they are not new. Or lastly the GL-5 may have eaten the brass synchronizers already. What did the old gear oil look like????

The old gear oil looked fine, no brass. I'm 95% it's the master cylinder. It has new throwout bearing, slave, pressure plate, and clutch disc two months ago, and I've driven maybe 1500 miles since then. The problem came on very suddenly, not gradual at all, and there is no fluid leaking from anywhere, leading me to believe it's an internal leak somewhere.

X2 on the MC. Mine croaked a few days or week after the slave died.

Well well well, looks like it's getting a new master AND slave cylinder. It wasn't leaking any fluid before, but after I drove home 200 miles (only shifting twice the whole way) there was no resistance in the clutch. I opened the canister to check the level, it looked low and then kept going down down down, and fluid was streaming out of the bell housing. Joy.

Back