• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I get this?

KarmirXJ

NAXJA Forum User
this is a header panel for a XJ but it has twin lights. Im thinking of swaping this into my XJ (just to make it a bit different from the others) any pros or cons of doing this swap? I have a 93 XJ will everything bolt up?

Heres a pic
i-1.JPG

thats a wagoneer header.. i don't think you'll have any problem with fitting it up, but i see wire harness issues..... is the donor vehicle available to grab the harness?
mike

No donor vehicle is not available. How does this 4 lamps work? the lower ones are low bean and upper ones are high beam? I will use relays to upgrade wiring, cant I just slit the power between the 2 lights? or is that a bad idea?

I did just the opposite When my '88 Waggy got smashed. Just went into the barn and pulled of the header from a blow'd up '84. The only problem is the wiring will be slightly different, You have to cut off both plug ends and redo the connection. It is simple if you have a volt meter or a test light. Just figure out which wire turns on which light and connect them. I used but splicers and heat shrink to make the connections water tight. If you need any more help PM me.

KarmirXJ said:
No donor vehicle is not available. How does this 4 lamps work? the lower ones are low bean and upper ones are high beam? I will use relays to upgrade wiring, cant I just slit the power between the 2 lights? or is that a bad idea?

As a rule, quad headlights consist of one two-beam lamp that works on both high and low, just like a regular single light, and a second that works on high alone. It's easy to figure out which one is which, since the high-only one has only two terminals on it. If you can't find the correct harness you should have no problem splicing in a second connector. Just use the original 3-prong connector for the two-beam light, and splice a second connector into the high and ground lines of that to the high-only lamp.

The headlight connectors on an XJ are pretty poor to start with, and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the originals anyway. If you cut off the old connectors, and get a full set of new ones, you can do a proper job with solder and heat-shrink tubing.

Whatever you do, though, don't just split the power between the lights, or you won't have a sufficient high beam. You must have them both lit for high .

Those Wagoneer headlights are even smaller than the usual quad headlights. I've heard many owners complain that they don't provide adequate lighting, and I suspect that these quads probably do not have a dual-filament low beam lamp. However, I'm not sure on that.

It's such an unusual lamp that I doubt very much there is an upgrade to H3 or similar lights with replaceable bulbs, but you never know.

Back