• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.25

copbait

NAXJA Forum User
found a few posts on this but none with the same specifics that i have, so just a quick question...

swapping from my '01 D35 to a '99 8.25 29 spline (3.55)

i have a 2" lift (true 2" in back).

can i re-use my D35 driveshaft?

thanks

I don't think you will be able to. I did that to my 91 and had to get a shorter drive shaft. The 8.25 drive shaft is roughly 2" shorter than the one on the 35. Victor

i had read it was only 1" shorter, but with the 2" lift that may eat up some of the difference of the longer D35 shaft. has anyone tried running the old shaft with a 2" lift?

On my 90(much older year model than yours) with 2.5" lift/4.0/AW4/NP231 I had to re-use the D-35 shaft. The 8.25 shaft was too short, I only had 3/4" of yoke on the output shaft. The D-35 shaft worked fine and I tested it in the driveway by adding about 600#'s to the rear of the Jeep to compress it and make sure that the yoke would not bottom out. I flexed it good to make sure there were no issues there either. I eventually went to the PORC HD SYE and a TW shaft just because I had it sitting around. There were no driveability issues or vibs.

My advice would be to try both DS's to see which one will work the best for your Jeep.

Back