• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using vac disco d30 on non-disc cherokee? Posi-Lok?

Kev102189

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 93 XJ for $300 and the front axle is really banged up. My friend has a Dana 30 from an older xj that's in really good shape, and I wanted to know if it would work on my XJ. Possibly by replacing with one-piece axle shafts and blocking off the vac disconnect or keeping it as is and adding a Posi-Lok. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, there are a few possibilities on what you could do. I was running a disco axle out of a late 80's rig in my 93 (it had factory 4.10's) and I just welded the collar over so I did not have to worry about it not engaging since I was not messing with the vac disco any longer. I then upgraded to the big u-joint shafts from a TJ and used a block off plate that I made from some 3/16" scrap I had around. I also put in a new axle seal at the time, but other then that, no problems.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna make my own posilok for it, then the only real money i need to spend is gearing and a bike brake cable. I'm goin for the ultimate cheapest I can get. Plus I don't even need to take the axle completely apart or do any welding.

Kevin

I'm almost positive my old axles are going to be bent. Then I'd just need to block off the vac disco right? Just weld it shut or something or do I actually need to buy a block off?

Kev102189 said:
I'm almost positive my old axles are going to be bent. Then I'd just need to block off the vac disco right? Just weld it shut or something or do I actually need to buy a block off?

If you go with the 1 piece axle shaft on the passenger side;

I think you will need to pull the carrier and add a axle seal on the passenger side. Its not a big job. Then it wouldn't matter if you leave the hole open where the disco went. Makes for a nice place to wash out the axle tube and guide in the axle shaft during trail repairs. One of the local's has his set up this way.

Also the disco axle is slightly stronger(and heavier) due to the "cast" upper control arm mount on the pass. side.

I have one of the 90 disco axles that I'm building for my trail rig now, I plan on setting mine up just as I explained and have seen done.

Back