• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Install- novice problems..

fattmann

NAXJA Forum User
Went to install RC 2" lift shackles and encountered the infamous welded nut breaking loose on rear driver side...

Did a bit of searching on remedying the situation, and found a good amount of text on the subject but few pictures. Reading and being told to just cut a hole in the floor didn't work, cant get to the nut from inside the frame rail (it's between the outer frame sheet and inside it's own little pocket). Also completely baffled how a few said they got to it just from removing the rear bumper... you can't even see the nut through the hole behind the bumper...

Best option seems to be drop the tank, bore a hole in the frame rail to slip a deep impact socket of some kind to break it loose, then patch the hole. That is an option but my access to a welder is limited, but possible if need be. Since i already have a hole cut in the floor within the frame rail (can see the end of bolt), and on the other side (can see pocket it's in), can i just sawz-all the bolt out? Worried about getting a new one in however...

Didn't feel right in my gut to cut the pocket open, don't want it to rip itself off if i don't get it welded back up right, but i wonder if that is the way to go...

Sorry for long post, will try to get pics up if what i'm saying is confusing at all. If anyone has another trick, or better yet pictures on how to do this i would greatly appreciate it.

eh, basically... just weld it back up. cut out as little as possible...

Back