• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Conditioning Woes

stevens157

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj sport. About a month ago the bearings went out of the compressor clutch bearing. Very bad. So I put in a new compressor. Well after reading the factory service manual and here I decided that I needed to replace the fixed orifice tube and the accumulator. So I did. But because I am half caveman and it was very hot out. Instead of taking my time and getting a $7.00 tool to disconnect the ac lines from the evaporator I managed to crack the evaporator. So after buying the $7.00 tool and a new evaporator I fashioned a vacuum pump out of an old freezer compressor and evacuated and charged the system.

I had added 8oz of oil to the compressor and additional oil to the system for the evaporator and accumulator per the oem service manual. Now the pressures are all within normal limits but the clutch doesn't cycle so I need to check the low pressure gauge and see if that is junk or not. But now the air temperature from the vents never gets below 50F and it takes for ever to get that cold. I would assume from reading the oem manual that I have too much oil in the system and not enough refrigerant.

So how do I get rid of the excess oil? When I evacuate the system should I be putting suction to both the high and low side ports?

you may have to evacuate it and there may be a drain on the bottom of the compressor. and did it work when the clutch bearings where gone? my summer car has a wicked wining noise.

ok. it sounds like you have either too much oil in it or you did not have it vacuumed long enough. you need to at least vacuum it for at least 30 min. and i think i did not clarify this there may be an oil drain on the bottom of the compressor. BUT what is the ambient temp where you live right now. the frein pressure changes to ambient temp.

with compresser running the pressure should be the following.

65 25-35 psi
70 35-40
75 35-45
80 40-50
85 45-55
90 45-50
95-110 50-55

It is about 85F here right now. I had it to vacuum the whole time I put the dash back together. I can just about guarantee that took more than 30 minutes.

you say the pressures drop when you rev it up? is that just on the low side? what does your high side do? 8 oz into the compressor alone sounds like alot of oil.

That is what the sticker on the compressor said. That is just the low side didn't look at the high side. I can evacuate it again. Do i put vacuum to both the high and low side? How do I know if there is too much oil and how much do you drain from where?

If it's 85*F outside and the air coming out your vents is 50*F, it's working fine. Try using MAX A/C and see if it gets a bit colder after running for awhile.

Back