• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 XJ No-Start

Toph

NAXJA Forum User
So, after sitting for about a week I can't get my jeep to start. It ran fine before hand, with the exception of cutting out at a stop a few weeks ago. I was able to immediately restart, though. After searching the board here it seems like I may be looking at a crank position sensor? It seems like most of the threads I read on this were involving older jeeps...does an '01 fall under the same type of problems?

does it crank? My 2000 died in the driveway from a bad CPS and it wouldn't even turn over. found that it was the CPS by disconecting it (the crank position sensor) and turning it over. when the sensor was unplugged it cranked but didn't start. plugged it in and it wouldn't even turn over. bingo. I also got some kind of code where the milage display was...I forget exactly what it was though....sorry.

When you say it doesnt start - give some more details. Does it crank? Rough/intermittent cranking? Clicking? Does your fuel pump "come on" when you turn the key to "run"?

I'm sorry, I thought I put more info in the original post.

It cranks no problem but it won't fire. Right now it's sitting at work, so I'm on my way there to see what I'm getting as far as fuel & spark.

Keep us posted - but your first idea (CPS) is a good chance...

Ok, so I've got no spark but I have fuel pressure. Haven't checked to see if the injectors are firing yet, but it seems from what I've read that the CKP is a pretty good guess at this point. Of course I'm at my office and my service manual is at home....where is this thing located?

Thanks for the input! After replacement of the CKP it started right up. I do have to say that the two bolts that hold this thing in place are a real pain to get to, though. They're 11mm head, by the way, for anyone who may stumble across this post in the future.

Back