• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Vibe Question

keener

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the scenario: I've got a 98 XJ Limited, auto with the NP242. I had a local 4x4 shop install an RE 3.5" SF with full leaf's, 4.56 gears and 32 x 11.5 AT's. It has about 65,000 miles. We installed rear shims so the axle points straight up parallel to the d/s. and also as an RE SYE with a CV driveshaft.
The problem is it still has vibes between 55 and 70 mph. They claim it needs a t/c drop but I'm having trouble buying that. What else could it be ?

i would take their suggestion. at 3.5 inches its all negligible. just for kicks maybe you can fashion up a t/c drop of an inch and see what happens. you can source parts for this using longer bolts and washers. remove the unibody stud on each side as well and use bolts throughout.

worth a try.

pull your front drive shaft and see if the vibe go's away. Its possible that you need to adjust your control arms for a better front d shaft angle not the rear.

With an SYE and CV DS you should not be getting vibes from the rear. Although it may look straight on you should check the angle with an Angle Tool. I agree with the post above, pull your front DS.

I was having some vibe issues, pulled the front DS and it went away. Fixed the front angle and re-installed.

Good Luck....

Thanks for the input, guys. They pulled the front d/s last week and it didn't make a difference. It's getting the rear d/s balance checked today.

I had a vibe issue once.
drove me nuts.
I found out it was my TC yokes.
they were slightly loose which equals lotsa vibes.

good luck

...BOB

transfer case yokes.
those are what attaches the drive shaft to the transfer case.
both front and rear.

...BOB

Nickster said:
Would the yoke in the driveshaft cause any sort of vibrations? If i shake the d/s the yoke sounds to be slightly loose.

it's possible.

...BOB

BOB said:
it's possible.

and, btw, if you go to a tc drop. your changing the angle again.
that will effect the length of the ds's (again)

...BOB

and, btw, if you go to a tc drop. your changing the angle again.
that will effect the length of the ds's (again)

...BOB

Might also put a dial indicator on the outermost edge of the face and on the edge of the sye. I had a problem with mine, gave vibes in similar speed range. Let us know how your rear ds balanced out.

Update: d/s was rebalanced, and supposedly it was out a little, rebalanced the tires, put the tc drop in and still some vibes ..
anderld47, I'm not understanding what you said ...

Any other thoughts on my dilemna ?

keener said:
Update: d/s was rebalanced, and supposedly it was out a little, rebalanced the tires, put the tc drop in and still some vibes ..
anderld47, I'm not understanding what you said ...

Any other thoughts on my dilemna ?

The face of my RE sye was not perfectly perpendicular to the output shaft. This could have been a function of a bad cut on the output shaft and not the RE sye. The vibes were “nothing” when evaluated by the lead man at the transmission shop, but I’m anal about some things (junk vibes and women’s butts). I couldn't figure out how a barely perceptable problem could create vibes given the double cardon, but when I had the JB sye and TW rear shaft put in along with another inch of lift, had zero vibes.

Probably if you could have the face of the sye machined while on the output shaft (getting a partial thinking about doing that) and make sure the flange holes were right on it might take care of things.... but I think the 98s (fawk, all the xjs) are just a weird ass bunch when it comes to vibes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I have a 2000 242. I have vibes. I have tried everything. Everything I did help which meant that I had problems with all the stuff I did. Angles good. Both shafts rebuilt and balanced. My rear pinion yoke was out of balance so I replaced. It isn't my tires, it's my driveline. The only sugestion made to me that made sense was my SYE. I have a different one than you, but both of ours sticks out a bit from the TC. At those speeds, with the heave CV joint at the end of the output shaft, if might actually be flexing. It is the only thing I can not do anything about. Not sure if that is actually it, but I have taken care of everything else. :dunno:

Back