• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Question 8.25 to D44

carrlf

NAXJA Forum User
I found a d44 to swap into my 2001 cherokee but I was curious if there was really a point in it. My 8.25 is 29 spline, the d44 is 30 spline, other than that I dont really know much of a difference, maybe being able to gear the d44 higher but im only going to run 33's so not much use there really. Can anyone tell me any advantages?

Bigger diameter shafts, by a tenth of an inch....bigger ring gear by 1/4", no c-clips on a 44, and i think a generally stronger axle overall....housing wise. more options on parts/lockers too (you can get an aussie for a 44...)

so would it be worth 250 dollars for the axle brake to brake to swap it in? Im assuming it will all bolt up except for a different driveline, since its coming from an older cherokee?

also some came factory with disc brakes, unless it's out of another cherokee... but there are still a lot of disc options available for the d44. other than that he hit the nail on the head. they're not a ton stronger, but a little bit. the big advantage is no c-clips. if you're doing a swap where you have to fab, it's not really worth it to go to the d44. might as well go one bigger and get the 8.8.

driveshaft should be the same, as far as i know.

do the gears match your front axle? i'd jump all over that anyway...D44s arent all that common, at least not where I'm at.

if not, i'll take that D44 off your hands for $250 :D

Different gear ratio, something like a low 3.07 or something. I know they arent 3.55, so I know I would have to regear it, but I was going to regear my stockers anyways. Well as far as an 8.8 is there a lot of fabwork involved in getting it to fit? The d44 should just bolt in if the driveshaft matches up. My cherokee has no abs, so I wonder if that would make a difference?

D44 wasnt ABS. Only the D35 was. You should be fine in that department, no worries.

A D44 is more than strong enough for 33s. 8.8 involves cutting off the old spring perches and shock mounts, welding on new ones in the right positions. 8.8 is a 30 spline too, I think...maybe 31...but the pinion on an 8.8 is bigger than a D44, hangs lower.

Oh and with the 8.8, its a c-clip, so....you're right back in that area.

JNickel101 said:
Bigger diameter shafts, by a tenth of an inch....bigger ring gear by 1/4", no c-clips on a 44, and i think a generally stronger axle overall....housing wise. more options on parts/lockers too (you can get an aussie for a 44...)

The 8.25 housing is stronger.

I wouldn't say its worth it to swap...they are VERY close in strength overall. For 33"s the 8.25 should be just fine, swap in some alloys and run 35"s. I run 36"s on mine and it has held up well so far.

Yeah Andrew?? B/c the 8.25 has 3" tubes and the D44 is 2.75"?

minero73mx said:
As far as I know the swap should be from D35 in o D44 instead of Chrysler 8.25 to D44

Thoughts ?

Whatcha mean? I think the D44 is a major upgrade from a D35, and a slight upgrade from an 8.25.....

For $250 I would swap in the D44 for the locker/gearing options, and sell the 29 spline 8.25 to a D35 owner to cover the cost :rof:

yeah from what i read i would deffinately upgrade from the d35, but the 8.25 is a good axle, with less options, but for me they have a arb locker, and 4.56 gears and thats enough for me. So really other than options not a lot of difference, according to some. As far as c clips, what are wrong with those? Yeah im sure I could get around 250 for the 8.25 axle, so it wouldnt be like it would cost me much, just time.

The 30 upfront will limit you before the 8.25 strength wise. So unless you ever plan on ditching it is probaly not worth the effort.

If you break a C-clip axle there is nothing holding the shaft in and it will just fall out. My cousin snaped a C-clip shaft in his S-10 and lost the wheel driving down the road, luckly at slow speeds. Its not alot of fun. With an axle that uses a retainig plate (Dana 44 and an 8.8 with the Super 88 kit) you can make it to a more convenient place to do the swap, and not on the side of a hill or in a pile of rocks.

~Alex

JNickel101 said:
Yeah Andrew?? B/c the 8.25 has 3" tubes and the D44 is 2.75"?

Yes...that makes the 8.25 more rigid of a housing. I was just refering to your comment below that the D44 is stronger housing wise which it isn't. That is pretty much the only thing the 8.25 has over the D44 and how easy it is to find a 29 spline 8.25.

JNickel101 said:
Bigger diameter shafts, by a tenth of an inch....bigger ring gear by 1/4", no c-clips on a 44, and i think a generally stronger axle overall....housing wise.

andrew2516 said:
Yes...that makes the 8.25 more rigid of a housing. I was just refering to your comment below that the D44 is stronger housing wise which it isn't. That is pretty much the only thing the 8.25 has over the D44 and how easy it is to find a 29 spline 8.25.

Gotcha - I wasnt 100% sure about the housing, just kinda assumed it was stronger :) thanks for correcting my guess :cheers:

Back