• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding

ebyrd10000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about welding things connected to the vehicle. Should the negative battery cable be disconnected when welding because of the electronics or not?

I have never disconnected anything, no serious problems yet and iv done more welding then i like on my xj. On my newer bulldozer, (Newholland DC85) i was welding on it and never disconnected the battery or computer and it burnt up something in the computer and wasn't traveling right. About 4grand later its working again :tear:. Now on every thing but my xj i disconnect my the battery, Because i need a reason to put a diesel in it or 350small block.. :cool:

I read somewhere that the ALT. should be disconnected b-4 welding. I never do and never had any probs. however after reading that I do disconnect BATT. and ALT. Cheap protection nad doesn't take that long.

When the company I worked for bought a new mack truck with a remote control boom they gave us these

http://www.matson.com.au/surge_minder.html

the truck had a boatload of electronics and we built the flat bed for it and never disconnected the battery.

Play nice - we try to keep a "PG" rating around here... -Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've welded on some heavy duty stuff, (drill rigs, ect...) and have seen some crazy stuff happen if you aren't careful. Does it take that long to disconnect the cables? Better safe than sorry.

I used to never disconnect my cables before welding on my old XJ. But then I fried the CD player in it while welding my rear bumper together....:doh: Now I disconnect them. It only takes a minute, and it's better to be safe than sorry, ya know?

vetteboy said:
I've never disconnected the battery. I also put the ground cable near what I'm working on.

X2--IMHO, keeping the ground clamp close to the work, such that the current doesn't have to arc accross body panels, or other frame joints to get to the welder's electrode.

Last edited:
I never disconnect anything, and I dont always ground close to where Im welding. My rigs got hundreds of inches of welds laid donw on it, and no problems yet (knock on wood).

Back