• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01-05 4.0 Internal swap?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 01 4.0 w/ 135k, and a 05 4.0 w/ 11k out of an 05 Rubicon, with a block side motor mount break, that I got for free. With the block being screwed up, I'd say its done for, with out a lot of work/time/money to make it useable again. I already plan on doing a head swap, but I'm playing around with the idea of making it a long weekend and swapping the bottom end too. pull the crank/rods/pistons/bearings/oil pump/cam/push rods, and swap them w/o pulling the block, hone the cylinders while every thing's out. Anyone know the ease/possibility of doing this?
Also, while I have the crank out, I may throw a 4.2 in, but am not sure what needs to be done besides the crank, besides the obvious fuel upgrades (injectors, fuel regulator).

for the basic stroker, its 4.2 crankshaft and connecting rods. I believe that the only other thing to get it operational (if you need to drive it and dont have alot of time) is a set of 24 lb/hr. injectors. Ebay is a good source. Make sure you have them cleaned first. If you build a 4.6 and bigger then i would go after the regulator and map adjuster. but for the 4.5 stroker, those three should be al lyou need. good luck with your build.

Yeah, 4.5 is all I'm going for, the new parts were free with the exception of the 4.2 crank, and if I start trying to go go more, it'll get ugly. Besides, anything I still want to add (with the exceptions of pistons to change compression), I could still do at a later date, i.e. cam, roller rockers, ect. and I'll have a spare head to screw around with.

Odds are the 01-4.0 w/135K will need boring along with oversize pistons and rings.
This add a bit to the cost of an 'inexpensive' rebuild.

Back