• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE HELP no spark and stuck in a bad spot?????

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
SO on my way to a mtn biking trip i notticed my 96 4.0 shut off at a light. I got it to the side of the road but not in a good area. So i smell gas and got some out of the fuel rail when i pushed that button. When i checked for a spark i had nothing. i held a key and screwdriver to the wires and the wire from the coil and the coil itself but ne spark. I even puller the cap and rotor it was pretty corroded but i cleaned it. i changed the coil but still nothing. Both the wires + and - have been spliced to hook up my tak and the negative has a wire running for the tak. by the way when i try start it the tak goes crazy up and down from 0 to redline. i dont know much about this but i put a volt meter to the wires going to the coil and could only get a reading when i put it on 200k OHM dont know if thats right and it went to like 4 What should i do. i thought it could be the wire going from coil to cap b/c i always pull it off of the cap when i leave the car sumplace, that and pull the fuel pump fuse (my theft protection) i thought it may have gotten a short but when i disconect it but i have no spark off of the coil. Im stumped guys what should i do thanks alot:repair:

Just for the hell of it unhook the tach,then try it.But,there are a number of other things it could be.CPS,pickup plate in the distributor,ECU.Wish I could be more helpful,good luck

i figured it had to be somthing before the coil cuz nothing after is has spark that would meen it cant be the distributor right? how can i check other stuff

frank36 said:
Just for the hell of it unhook the tach,then try it.But,there are a number of other things it could be.CPS,pickup plate in the distributor,ECU.Wish I could be more helpful,good luck
x2

If the tach is jumping, I would think the CPS and dist sync sensor are probably good. I'm leaning toward pulling the tach as well-- if it's wired wrong or there's a short in it's wiring anywhere, you can be providing a ground path for the energy that's supposed to be flowing through the coil. No juice in-- no juice out.

Back