• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25 high pinion?

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on lifting my 1991 xj 4" and figured with a t-case drop it wouldn't need a sye since its the high pinion dana 35 rear end. but then i got all caught up in your guys little world of jeeping and went ahead and ordered 33" tires, 4.56 gears, and a chrysler 8.25 rear end. so now that i will not be running the dana 35 in there will i still be able to get away with just the t-case drop with the 8.25 rear axle? maybe some shimms too? i figure since i am using a 3" lift leaf pack and 1" shackles the shackles will push the diff forward and angle it up a bit right? i don't know, what do you guys think???

it could work, the chryco axle is a little more finnicky than the danas. i got away with it for a long time on 5in with just a t case drop, then i put in a different 8.25 (had locker and gears already in... reasoning for swapping in the same thing i already had) and i had to shim it 2.5 degrees to get rid of the vibes.... so its kinda hit and miss. you will just have to see and deal with it accordingly

hhmmm... i guess we will see then. also, if i am re-gearing will the gears for a 29 spling chryco work in a 27 spline(i really don't know what the difference is between the 29 and 27)?

the difference is the spline count on the inside ends of the axle shafts, the 29 spline is slightly bigger, haveing more splines and is slightly stronger. you can actually swap in 29sp. shafts if you replace the carrier. but to answer your question i think it should work.

k, because i have the option of a 29 spline chryco for $250 or a 27 spline for $125. i'm kinda leaning towards the 27 spline because i really don't abuse my jeep on the trail much, mostly mud bogging not rock climing. what do you think?

Your dana 35 rear end is low pinion, and so is the chry 8.25. At 4" of lift I would really recommend a SYE, but you'll probably be fine with a t-case drop vibe wise. Just remember that if you get spring wrap you could pull your driveshaft right out of the t-case without the SYE.

The gears are the same in the 27 sp and 29 sp 8.25s. Only difference is the axle shafts and carrier I think. If you're going through the trouble of swapping the axle out definetely go with the 29 spline version.

dopod said:
Your dana 35 rear end is low pinion, and so is the chry 8.25. At 4" of lift I would really recommend a SYE

ah good call... i do have the RE hack and tap. i just assumed... and we all know what that does:jester:

Back