• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88XJ steering column?

joeyschribar

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have a good link preferably with pics on how to take apart and remove the steering column.

i need to fix one on a jeep i just bought, yet i dont know how hard or easy it is to remove!

the whole left side is broken, the turn signals/wiper arm is busted off.

all the wiring works still.

thanks!

is there a way i can just swap out EVERYTHING with a whole new complete piece, column, steering wheel, wiring, all??
this looks like something i dont want to do!!!!

joeyschribar said:
is there a way i can just swap out EVERYTHING with a whole new complete piece, column, steering wheel, wiring, all??
this looks like something i dont want to do!!!!

1988? It's a standard GM column (AMC used a lot of them.) You should be able to find new aftermarket replacements at nearly any speed shop (hot rodders use a lot of them.) I don't know what the speed shop scene is like up there, but you should be able to mail-order one, worst case. Start with Summit or Jeg's - I'm sure they both carry them (Summit - www.summitracing.com, I think. Jeg's - www.jegs.com)

How about an 87? Will the GM columns work in this year as well? Mine has the wonderful tilt wobble and Im ready to pull it out and put in something a little more sturdy.

Back