• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

recommended hitch wiring connector?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just got a Hidden Hitch to replace the old smashed stock unit and I need to know what type of hitch wiring connector I should get (four-pole, seven-pole round, what?). I only plan to tow a box trailer periodically, but may drag a flat-bed trailer with a car on it. I would like to get this right the first time, so what's the best most flexible connector. I'd like to get one that is pre-made for my '91 wiring hookup, but I don't mind splicing if necessary.

Thanks

a company called "hoppy" sells a 7pole plug with a 4 pin connector built in. that would bring you the best of both worlds. check any truck accessory shop for one. i dont know if it will be a direct plug into your xj but i believe hoppy also makes a seperate plug in wiring kit for that. my 95 has a 4pin and its just spliced in.

Tlak to your any trailer dealer, they have access to anything that might be an easier install

4 pin allows you brake lights, turn signals and tail lights. Use the larger ones only if you plan on backup lights on your trailer. XJs should never tow something with electric brakes which the 7 pin connector was built for. Too much weight for a unibody IMHO.

Some ground through the plug and others ground through the ball. Don't know if that was what the extra ones were for.

I found the wiring diagram for my XJ factory hitch and it is seven-pin with a ground in the center pole.

The extra poles are used for things like 12v accessory power (if your trailer has a worklight for example), backup lights, brake signal

See now this is cool

42145.jpg

4- and 7-way in a single outlet

I put the 7 pin on mine for my pop-up camper with electric brakes. installed a brake controller allso. NAPA part #071-4384-085 for the connnector. The auxiary is power to the trailer batery to keep it charged.

Back