• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's a good 4.0 drivetrain worth?

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I'm wondering what a good 4.0 engine and AW4 would go for. I am interested in buying a 1997 salvage XJ for a cummins 4bt swap and it has a "good running motor and trans" with 120k. That's less miles than I bought my 94 with, not like that has any significance or anything...Just not a lot of miles IMO. Anyway, the jeep is pretty rough, but no real structural damage. I'm just really thinking of making a heavy duty street driver/tow vehicle that'll run on WVO. I cringe every time I fill up and I am starting to get the itch to do this more and more. If i could sell the motor for close to the price of the vehicle cost, it'd be a great start to a new project (which would be on the back burner for a while). Let me know from your experience what they bring and maybe I'll buy a new toy tonight! :scared:

So what your saying is you would do a cummins 4bt inline 4 cyl diesel swap into a XJ (Great idea BTW, sounds really cool) and you wonder what the 4.0 and drivetrain in the wrecked XJ would fetch? Well, the 4.0 with a AW4 could go for $800 or more. That would be a really cool swap for a tow rig!

Yeah that's what I want to do. I found an XJ for 500.00 with a motor and tranny but it's got slight front end damage. If i could even buy it and break even it would be a perfect start. I just want to stop paying pump prices..I think i'd have the thing paid for in a year or two just with the money I'd save...That is, the money I spend building it. Thanks for the info!

Back