• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L engine compatability for 1998 XJ?

Camo-5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. I know this has been discussed many, many times but I'm not aware of anyone that has compared all the different 4.0L blocks and determined exactly which 4.0L are compatable. I have a 1998 XJ 4.0L with a bad motor. I have a bunch of motors lined up from different years, but all my info tells me I have to use a 1996-1998 XJ 4.0L, 1997-98 TJ or 1996-1998 (early 98) ZJ. These all have the same block, head and crank part numbers.

Here is my question: Has anyone swapped in a 4.0L from a different year / vehicle into a 1996-1998 XJ that did not require modifications?

I'm new to the site. I recently sold my CJ5 that I rebuilt and moved onto a more family orientated project - my XJ. I have owned 2 other stock XJs in the past and I would buy a new one today if they were still made - here, not China.

The PO did some bizarre things to the old head, so I'm going to need to do a wholesale swap. The lower has at least a rod bearing bad. I stopped digging at that point and decided to replace the whole thing.

I've got a line on a 1996 motor with 90,000 miles for $300 that I can't hear run, but the owner says it does or a 1998 with unknown miles but very clean that is still in the vehicle and runs excellent for $350. Decisions, descisions.......Leaning towards the clean, running motor....

Back