• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker vs Lincoln?

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
What is the opinion out there?
I dont have the $ to get a locker of any sorts, since the $ will be going to a SYE. So I was thinking about welding the gears and seeing how it goes.
How hard is it too weld a LS diff, can it be done?

sprngfldxj said:
What is the opinion out there?
I dont have the $ to get a locker of any sorts, since the $ will be going to a SYE. So I was thinking about welding the gears and seeing how it goes.
How hard is it too weld a LS diff, can it be done?
don't, save for a locker, do it right. i may not have a locker but i have heard of welds breaking and weakening spiders...

Especially if you drive this jeep on road at all go with an actual locker. You can get a lunchbox locker for just over 200 bucks.

i say weld it , save up for parts, run it till it brakes, then do it right next time. alot of people are afraid of breaking but thats how you learn. who knows, maby the welds will hold and it may last for years. alot depends on tire size, driving style, ect. post more info on your rig.

finn188 said:
alot depends on tire size, driving style, ect. post more info on your rig.

And the welder. I've seen some break with very little abuse & some seem to last forever. JIM.

I have run Lots of welded gears in cars and 4x4's. If welded right, they often last a Long time, but tend to fail when most needed. As far as driving on the street, ignore the "My Uncle said" folks, you will have mildly accelerated tire wear, a larger turning radius, and chirping tires in turns, but once you learn to drive it, it's Always the same, unlike a locker on the street that is liable to Lock or Unlock at any time in a low traction situation (Wet road in a turn) I generally prefer a Spool or welded rear, and a locker in the front... My experience has been with Fullsize Trucks...keep in mind tho the shorter the wheel base, they more pronounced the hard turning, and the bigger, more agressive tires the same, you are Forcing the inside tire to turn the same speed as the outside in a turn. ~Ace~

I am running 32's and a 4.5 RE.
4.10 gears and a limited slip up front as well.
Chrys 8.25, 27 spline. AW4 tranny.
I live in an area that is very rural and only two roads that are paved, the rest are dirt, so in the snow and rain, there are planty of times to use the traction.

just buy a lockrite.... it can be pulled, a welded diff cant be without setting up new gears. I'd say dont do it, Its really hard on everything, And if you cant afford a lock rite either wait untill you can or run it open. Thats just me though. If it were a 14bolt i'd say weld it up solid..

Do you plan on keeping the 8.25? If not don't spend any money on it and weld away.If it's a keeper spend the coin and get a lockright. My .02

Struggle on.

Youll be better off running it open than welded. Its been tested and proven may times. A running/ moving Jeep will always make it farther than a busted Jeep.

If you do plan to weld it, use Unicrome welding rods. I have broken welded diffs before but after using Unicrome rods, the breakage stopped.

I would like to keep the 8.25, but would certainly go with another if given the chance. Being that I have never had a locker and yet live in an area that at various times depending on the weather, demands needing more traction than an open Diff or a LS, I think the lincoln would or could be a more immediate fix. Many of the areas we drive in here are made up of dirt roads and open farming fields that could swallow up the XJ.
It sounds like, just like many other areas of life, I need to just decide and go with it and see what happens.

Back